• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New build

Murphdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my son and I are building our own enclosure for our dragon who is growing out of his glass one. We have started to build a 4x2x2 birch wood enclosure. As we go I’m sure we will have questions. My first one is lighting set up. I don’t want to break the bank but want a good setup for our dragon. So looking for ideas on set ups brands etc we might have plants in there also. The top of the enclosure is wood vents will be on sides and maybe back with sliding doors on front. Any help would be great.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I just ordered lighting from pangea and ill have to say i was impressed, they are expensive :( 40$-65 depending on the size fixture, the good thing is bulbs are included with the fixtures they sell! :) , they’re nice quality, low profile , and if anything is broken they do have pretty good CS.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Okay here we go:

Heat Bulb
You are going to want a spot for him to bask. One specific log, or many use a hammock, that you can put his basking light over. This will be the hottest spot in the tank reaching to about 105-115 F for babies and 95-110 for adults.

Make sure the basking light is about 6" above your dragon so it cant burn itself.

UVB Lighting
I'm going to recommend you the UVB i use. It is perfect for dragons (ReptiSun T5 10.0 Linear w/ Hood & Back Up Bulb)

You can also buy just the bulb for like 24 dollars. That is only as expensive as it is because it comes with two.

Place your UVB light anywhere from 14-16" above your dragon. They say max. 18". You need multiple spotswhere the bearded dragon can get as close or as far from it as it needs, but like i said... not too close. Too much UVB is bad.

There should be a spot where your beardie can escape the UVB without hiding away in a hut. For this reason, your UVB should only cover 70-75% of the top of your tank.

Hope this info was helpful :)

Latest posts