• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie owner

Squiddy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, so I just got a bearded dragon. I've done some research but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I had talked about wanting a geko for a while but my dad saw this bearded dragon for sale and we would get all his stuff with him. I'm not really sure how to take care of him but I'm trying my best. I don't know how old he is or if he's even a him. My dad didn't get any of that info. I'm kinda worried about him. I've seen some stuff about brumating where your pet will slow down and sleep more but I'm not sure what his regular patterns were with his previous owner. He's been sleeping most of the day on the cool side of his tank. Should I be worried about that? I want to take really good care of him so some advice would be great!

This was him when he was awake
Snapchat-441755766.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, so I just got a bearded dragon. I've done some research but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I had talked about wanting a geko for a while but my dad saw this bearded dragon for sale and we would get all his stuff with him. I'm not really sure how to take care of him but I'm trying my best. I don't know how old he is or if he's even a him. My dad didn't get any of that info. I'm kinda worried about him. I've seen some stuff about brumating where your pet will slow down and sleep more but I'm not sure what his regular patterns were with his previous owner. He's been sleeping most of the day on the cool side of his tank. Should I be worried about that? I want to take really good care of him so some advice would be great!

This was him when he was awake
View attachment 34965
Ok first get rid of the colored bulb-- I am going to post what you need to keep this dragon healthy and thriving-
You need a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 month old and up dragon- middle of tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80ish- surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- stickons are good for ambient temps -- examples of basking bulbs are exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen- or flukers basking- no off white yellowish or daytime bulbs- a good uvb- NO COILS please-- they are a health hazard - I can post links for 3 good ones - please get this in order now - your dragon will not survive w/ out the stuff i have posted - please get rid of the sand it is unsanitary - you can use textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank- clean w vinegar and water 50 50 solution wipe down w a wet dish cloth- your dragon will quit eating if this is not on par - colored bulbs will damage his eyes

Squiddy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok first get rid of the colored bulb-- I am going to post what you need to keep this dragon healthy and thriving-
You need a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 month old and up dragon- middle of tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80ish- surface basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- stickons are good for ambient temps -- examples of basking bulbs are exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen- or flukers basking- no off white yellowish or daytime bulbs- a good uvb- NO COILS please-- they are a health hazard - I can post links for 3 good ones - please get this in order now - your dragon will not survive w/ out the stuff i have posted - please get rid of the sand it is unsanitary - you can use textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank- clean w vinegar and water 50 50 solution wipe down w a wet dish cloth- your dragon will quit eating if this is not on par - colored bulbs will damage his eyes
Thanks for the help!! I will buy new stuff for him this week

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the help!! I will buy new stuff for him this week
You want a good uvb- not all long tube fixtures are good - please ask if you need more info or help

Latest posts