• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie- need help

Kolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello
I just got an adult female Beardie at a reptile Expo 2 days ago. She is demonstrating some symptoms that may indicate illness so I want to see if anyone has any ideas.
First night I got her home she ate about 10 medium sized Dubias. Seemed fine, although not very active. Yesterday I noticed she is acting lethargic and barely ate the veggies I offered her. She also refused Dubias. She barely moves, she can hold her head up and walk around but often she lays flat. Also seems to sleep a lot.
Last night I gave her a bath because she had dirt on her and also thought she may be dehydrated. She drank a lot of water in the bath.
Today I took her out of her enclosure and she moved around just fine and decided to poo on my carpet(first poo since I got her). She looked like she was struggling to get it out and it wasn’t much. Her urate was yellow and hard like a little rock. Not much brown matter. She kept trying to get more out by pushing but only managed a little bit. I just gave her another bath and she drank more water. Maybe constipated and dehydrated? Should I be giving her frequent baths at this point? I have only had her for 2 days so I thought maybe some of her behavior may be stress related. I plan on taking her to a vet if she doesn’t show signs of perking up and pooping normally but I just wanted to give it a little time since she may just need some time to adjust. I attached a pic of her poo since they say you can tell a lot about a dragons health through their poo. Sorry for the gross pics but I just want to make sure I’m not missing something serious. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello
I just got an adult female Beardie at a reptile Expo 2 days ago. She is demonstrating some symptoms that may indicate illness so I want to see if anyone has any ideas.
First night I got her home she ate about 10 medium sized Dubias. Seemed fine, although not very active. Yesterday I noticed she is acting lethargic and barely ate the veggies I offered her. She also refused Dubias. She barely moves, she can hold her head up and walk around but often she lays flat. Also seems to sleep a lot.
Last night I gave her a bath because she had dirt on her and also thought she may be dehydrated. She drank a lot of water in the bath.
Today I took her out of her enclosure and she moved around just fine and decided to poo on my carpet(first poo since I got her). She looked like she was struggling to get it out and it wasn’t much. Her urate was yellow and hard like a little rock. Not much brown matter. She kept trying to get more out by pushing but only managed a little bit. I just gave her another bath and she drank more water. Maybe constipated and dehydrated? Should I be giving her frequent baths at this point? I have only had her for 2 days so I thought maybe some of her behavior may be stress related. I plan on taking her to a vet if she doesn’t show signs of perking up and pooping normally but I just wanted to give it a little time since she may just need some time to adjust. I attached a pic of her poo since they say you can tell a lot about a dragons health through their poo. Sorry for the gross pics but I just want to make sure I’m not missing something serious. Thanks in advance for any help.
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your getting them-- what type of uvb are you using? A coil or long tube fixture? She sounds dehydrated - the hard white urate is sign of dehydration - if you decide on a vet visit NO ENEMAS- for now she sounds dehydrated tho- are you feeding any supplements?

Kolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your getting them-- what type of uvb are you using? A coil or long tube fixture? She sounds dehydrated - the hard white urate is sign of dehydration - if you decide on a vet visit NO ENEMAS- for now she sounds dehydrated tho- are you feeding any supplements?
She has a basking light and UBV long tube 10.0. I use a laser thermometer to check temps. She can climb up to the highest point which is 107 degrees but she doesn’t do that. She stays on the ground under the bulb and the temp is 96 there.
I did dust her Dubias w calcium powder the first night she was with me and ate around 10 of them. She hasn’t really eaten much since then. A couple pieces of collard greens.
She just tried to go poo again about 15 mins ago and just a little white came out. Nothing else. Think I should keep giving her warm baths?

Kolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
She has a basking light and UBV long tube 10.0. I use a laser thermometer to check temps. She can climb up to the highest point which is 107 degrees but she doesn’t do that. She stays on the ground under the bulb and the temp is 96 there.
I did dust her Dubias w calcium powder the first night she was with me and ate around 10 of them. She hasn’t really eaten much since then. A couple pieces of collard greens.
She just tried to go poo again about 15 mins ago and just a little white came out. Nothing else. Think I should keep giving her warm baths?
I don’t know what kind of living conditions she was in before I got her 2 days ago. She also seems a little unsteady when she’s walking which has me worried

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Feed her some baby food pumpkin and a drop of olive oil and a drop of two of honey - feed till she poops- uvb is a T 5 or T 8?

Kolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Feed her some baby food pumpkin and a drop of olive oil and a drop of two of honey - feed till she poops- uvb is a T 5 or T 8?
It’s a T8. I will try what you suggested. Hopefully she will eat it. Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s a T8. I will try what you suggested. Hopefully she will eat it. Thank you
The T 8 needs to be in the tank and directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches - please consider upgrading to a T 5 - Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24" or a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --

Kolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
What brand and bulb is the uvb?
It’s Reptisun T8 with Reptisun 10.0 bulb. I think I’m going to schedule a vet appointment today. She is barely moving and I noticed her head doing a “shivering” shake last night after her bath. I’m worried she may have something serious like MBD or impaction. I think she’s going to need help getting vitamin supplements since she is refusing to eat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s Reptisun T8 with Reptisun 10.0 bulb. I think I’m going to schedule a vet appointment today. She is barely moving and I noticed her head doing a “shivering” shake last night after her bath. I’m worried she may have something serious like MBD or impaction. I think she’s going to need help getting vitamin supplements since she is refusing to eat.
How old is the T 8? It needs to be unobstructed and directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches --- if this has been incorrectly placed she has developed MBD--- the shaking and the not eating is a sign of incorrect UVB exposure -- the pooping will come w/ the foods I recommended--- we can try and stop the further effects of the MBD w/ correct UVB lighting-- you can take her outside for some good UVB rays direct sun 15 minutes sitting on you plus the correct placement of the UVB will help as well ---- please NO enemas at the vet they can do more harm than good
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
Please try everything I have recommended -- if the T 8 is older than 5 months please get a new bulb --

Kolly

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the T 8? It needs to be unobstructed and directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches --- if this has been incorrectly placed she has developed MBD--- the shaking and the not eating is a sign of incorrect UVB exposure -- the pooping will come w/ the foods I recommended--- we can try and stop the further effects of the MBD w/ correct UVB lighting-- you can take her outside for some good UVB rays direct sun 15 minutes sitting on you plus the correct placement of the UVB will help as well ---- please NO enemas at the vet they can do more harm than good
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/beware-of-vets-giving-enemas-to-your-dragon.252267/
Please try everything I have recommended -- if the T 8 is older than 5 months please get a new bulb --
I have only had her for a couple days- I bought her at a Reptile Exhibit so I don’t know what set up she had prior to being with me. Her UVB light starts directly above her basking light and stretches over most of her enclosure. I just bought the light when I got her on Saturday so it’s brand new. She also gets some direct sunlight since I placed her enclosure next to a window.
Thanks for your advice on the enema. Appreciate your help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have only had her for a couple days- I bought her at a Reptile Exhibit so I don’t know what set up she had prior to being with me. Her UVB light starts directly above her basking light and stretches over most of her enclosure. I just bought the light when I got her on Saturday so it’s brand new. She also gets some direct sunlight since I placed her enclosure next to a window.
Thanks for your advice on the enema. Appreciate your help
The window is filtered so she isn't getting uvb so to speak + outside is best- please get the uvb unobstructed and the other things I suggested -