• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon toilet problems

KatieMac94

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys!

So last Friday finally took the plunge after much research and a mental breakdown building the vivarium and brought home a little dragon called Balerion. Not sure of his exact age but think between 4-6 months (he's about 12 inches long). So the first couple of days he ate like a champ and was pooing normally nice white urates and good consistency. Then he stopped so I started giving him nice warm baths to encourage him which worked and that was fine thought maybe he just didn't like being stuck in his viv with his leavings (which I get because they don't smell awfully nice!!). The lady in the pet shop said he has always just pooped where he stood and paid no attention to it so I'm worried something is wrong since we brought him home and he now only goes in the bath every other day.

Today I popped him in his little bath and waited for the little twerk that he does before going and then there was just this mass of undigested crickets floating about. Legs, heads the whole lot in little bits and it totally freaked me out. I'm trying to do the best by the little guy but being a total newbie to all of this is so stressful!

So I have concerns that he won't go unless in the bath and even then it's only every second day he goes (he's still eating very well.. no veg yet but I'm ever hopeful) and I'm concerned at this sudden deterioration in his poop to complete undigested crickets and am praying it was a one off. He also seems very lazy much of the time will sit on his basking spot occasionally mooching around licking at things but he doesn't seem very active and I wonder if maybe he is still suffering from the stress of moving? His belly looks quite chubby and I don't know if it's down to bloating or being full or something else. He also started a little bit of shedding a couple of days after coming home with us but that has paused his tail is definitely ready to go but not started peeling as yet!

For info he is in a 4 foot vivarium. Arcadia 14% dragon lamp UVB strip bulb. 100w bulb on a dimmer. His Temps are 110-115 at basking spot mid 90s in the hot end dropping off to 75-80 at the cool end. He is eating size 4 black crickets dusted in the morning with calcium (multivitamin dusting twice weekly also)

Sorry for the essay but I'm just desperately in need of knowing that I'm doing something right. I absolutely adore the little guy but I feel like it's just been a disaster and we've only had him here for a week. Seems like he was doing better in a tiny pet shop vivarium and I feel like an awful dragon mother!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your set up, temps and uvb sound great. Some dragons prefer to go in the bath. The warm water helps relax their little tummy muscles which helps them go. If he prefers this then that's perfectly fine as long as you are able to bathe him everyday-every other day so that he can go. He may also need a little more time to settle in. Try not to worry to much about the frequency. Every other day is perfectly normal. Each dragon is different it's more about learning their routine and what a normal pooping schedule is for him.

As for the undigested crickets in his poo, how long is he basking after he eats? If it's not very long (approximately 2hours) you may want to lower those temps just a pinch making his basking spot no higher than 105-110. This may encourage him to bask longer which will help him digest food better. I would also recommend giving him about another week or so to settle in and then consider getting a fecal done. It always good to allow time for relocation stress to subside before checking for parasites if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KatieMac94

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can give him a bath every day no problem was just worried that he used to go in his viv at the pet shop before we got him and now he's changed his mind!

He spends a lot of his day basking or sitting near his basking log I'm going to keep a closer eye on his temperature over the next few days. I'm waiting for a temp gun to arrive because he keeps sitting on the thermometer probe on his basking log lol!

He does seem to be in good health otherwise if a little bit lazy but I put that down to him still adjusting after the move and he's eating like there's no tomorrow so I'll just keep an eye on him and keep up the baths and see how we get on. Thank you so much for your reply!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No problem at all, that's what we are here for :)

They can be funny little guys/girls. What's ok this week may change next week lol. My female use to only poop out side of the Viv like she would refuse to go in her home. Now it's the opposite lol.

And it's good that he's eating so much already. Shows he's settling in nicely. Just keep an eye on that poop to make sure everything seems digested for the most part. Finding a few undigested pieces from time to time is normal but you do not want to see a massive amount. Right after he eats try to encourage him to bask for an hour-two and see if this helps any.

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am always happy that mine went in his bath. I never wanted him going in his tank once I got him used to going in his bath. Be glad that he would rather not go in his tank as long as you have the time to give a bath.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am always happy that mine went in his bath. I never wanted him going in his tank once I got him used to going in his bath. Be glad that he would rather not go in his tank as long as you have the time to give a bath.

I agree! I have tried everything to get my girl to go in the tub. But nope, that would make it just a little too easy on me and we can't have that lol. She enjoys watching me scrub up poop and clean her Viv too much to allow that.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They will change their minds about all sorts of things it drives us crazy trying to see what they want lol

Latest posts