• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New bearded dragon male

markorussell

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello.

I acquired an adult male said to be about 4 years old who was turned into my local reptile store by some folks in military who had to leave and couldn't take him.

I noticed he is smaller then my girl and doesn't like eating worms and roaches etc as of now.
But he does chow down on greens so I'm dusting that with calcium and vitamins.

My main question is, I notice when he breathes , his beard fills up. I never noticed that with my girl when she inhaled and exhaled.
Is this a normal thing with males ?
I can hear him breathing too.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and glad to hear he has a new forever home... Have you taken him to the vet to get him checked out? Rule out Resp Infection, worms/parasites?
It could be that he is showing dominance? Can he see your female? Is he head bobbing?

markorussell

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome and glad to hear he has a new forever home... Have you taken him to the vet to get him checked out? Rule out Resp Infection, worms/parasites?
It could be that he is showing dominance? Can he see your female? Is he head bobbing?
Yes to both he can see her and he head bobs BIG TIME .

HE DOESN'T ALWAYS breathe like that it seems when he gets in an area that's new OR he is starting to stress out at firat..... but then he calms down and it looks normal.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Then I imagine that he is fine just being a boy strutting his stuff showing off to the female.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
MARK! Welcome back :)

4 year olds should be eating more greens than bugs so the fact that he's eating his salad is great. He may only want bugs once a week.

I would try to block his view of her when he's in his tank. Sounds like he gets a glimpse of her and tries to show dominance. My boy and girl's tanks are stacked on top of each other so they can't see each other. When I take the girl out the boy will push his beard out a bit when he sees her and then stops when I take her away. He may be getting stressed because he can't get to her.

Latest posts