• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New baby

Shauna_T

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I am new to the forum, I just bought my grandson a beardie and am looking for the correct information to get his setup correct. And of course the correct care for him as well. I have a 4ft x 4ft x 1ft fish aquarium I will be using. The beardie is 7 months old, I also have a chameleon and breed my own dubia I use miner-all vitamins for my cham I was wondering if I can use those for the beardie as well? I would like to use substrate for him with live plants. I have some aloe plants I would like to put in with him and maybe some pathos. I know I will need to use a che at night as my house gets cold at night like 60° and I will be getting an arcadia t5 12% for him. But the guy I bought him from said I can use one of the basking bulbs that puts out uvb instead of the arcadia and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that I was wondering what your thoughts are on that. I have paid for my beardie but have not brought him home yet as I want everything correct first so I thought I would start here. Screenshot_20231104_164337_Snapchat.jpg

Dree

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would recommend investing in a larger enclosure. The absolute bare minimum is 4x2x2 ft. Many reputable sites are beginning to recommend a minimum of 6x2x2 ft. Bearded dragons are semi-arboreal, so they need height as well as width and length.
Dubias are a great choice of feeder insect and any reptile vitamins are going to be good for beardies. Just make sure you get the quantities right. I'm not an expert on chameleons, but I'd think they'd need different food portions (also I'm pretty sure they're insectivores, while beardies are omnivores so also need salads).
ReptiFiles is a great source of info. It is written by a professional and updated when new research is proven to be correct. It is the most accurate, detailed, up-to-date online beardie care guide.
https://reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care/

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I am new to the forum, I just bought my grandson a beardie and am looking for the correct information to get his setup correct. And of course the correct care for him as well. I have a 4ft x 4ft x 1ft fish aquarium I will be using. The beardie is 7 months old, I also have a chameleon and breed my own dubia I use miner-all vitamins for my cham I was wondering if I can use those for the beardie as well? I would like to use substrate for him with live plants. I have some aloe plants I would like to put in with him and maybe some pathos. I know I will need to use a che at night as my house gets cold at night like 60° and I will be getting an arcadia t5 12% for him. But the guy I bought him from said I can use one of the basking bulbs that puts out uvb instead of the arcadia and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that I was wondering what your thoughts are on that. I have paid for my beardie but have not brought him home yet as I want everything correct first so I thought I would start here. View attachment 34892
Welcome to the forum and its good your working on the tank to get it set up right --- the 4x2x1 is different size I would suggest a 4x2x2 tank tho - dragons need floor space not height - babies have a tendency to jump off of everything and its best to not to have them so high - especially when carrying them around - always keep you hand over their backs to prevent them from jumping I have seen too many accidents w/ them jumping and getting really hurt -- just FYI - also the dragon is going to go thru relocation stress so hes eating will be off until he gets acclimated to the tank and his surroundings - I am going to list some info for your tank so you can get this set up right ---- first you want 2 digital probe thermometers https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...mometer-14914.html?cgid=500113&fmethod=Browse they dont need to come from Pet Smart most pet stores carry these - you want surface basking temps of 95-100 for the 7 month old -- these are the most accurate of getting the temps -- next the screen on the tank is going to determine where the UVB goes - the Arcadia is a great fixture - once I find out what the screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole will tell me how to have you set it up-- this is crucial for the over all health and behavior of the dragon -- please NO sand or loose substrate - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner w/ NO grooves in it -- clean w/ some vinegar / water 50/50 and wipe down w/ a dish cloth / towel etc -- what the store has suggested is a MVB I personally dont use them great for heat but expensive and unless you have it very close to the dragon he wont get much UVB from it -- I recommend using a regular solid clear bright white basking bulb --- NO day time bulbs off white or yellowish -- here are some examples of basking bulbs - Flukers basking --- Exo Terra Intense --- or Arcadia Halogen --- you can also use a regular indacanscent bulb but you must have the digital probe thermometers to get that surface basking temps -- if you need more help please ask --- questions websites etc

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also your dragon needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per day lightly coated on the insects --- your UVB is going to help the dragon utilize and absorb the calcium hes eating -- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per day lightly coated on the insects -- https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...multivitamin-with-beta-carotene-33-oz-1529714
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ti-calcium-with-d3-reptile-supplement-1440349
once he turns a year old these supplements w/ change -- but for now hes growing and needs these
heres a website to look for plants etc in the tank - scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find them there
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its out dated and is a great staple feeder

Shauna_T

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't think the bulb he recommended was correct so I will be getting the arcadia 12%, this will be a temporary Viv for him we are going to build a 5ft or 6ft x 3ft x 4ft tall one for him so he has a nice size home with lots to climb on so he has an enriching environment. Yes chameleons only eat insects and I know the beardie needs veggies and he already eats all that really well. I am also aware of how appetites change when they are adjusting thank you for the reminder though. He will not be held for at least 1 week possibly 2 (I will judge his mood) so he has time to get used to his new home and of again when we put him in his permanent Viv. I did know that he will eat and trample on his plants but that's ok its healthy to have them in there cleaning his air and providing healthy oxygen for him and I just want him healthy and happy. I will be using digital thermostat/hydrometers and his basking lamp will be on a thermostat with probe on his basking spot. I also have a thermostat gun so I can check levels that way. If I missed anything please let me know. Again ty for all your help!!!

Latest posts