• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New baby wont eat

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Temp gun and scale are the next things on my list to get for him. The smaller tank was at the pet store, so I'm not sure what they were using lighting wise, but I did note their temp gauges said 80 degrees and higher humidity. That would have been on the 2nd. And he ate well for the first three or four days and got really picky. His basking light is a 150 watt light. And for night we have a heat emitter because we have a fan on in the room (right now he gets the main spot in the house in the master bedroom, spoiled little guy).

You definitely don't want high humidity with these guys they can get respiratory infections if it's too high. My girl seems to like it around 35%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Substrate is Repti Carpet.

We have two UVB lights. There is a reptisun 10 on the side with the basking lamp and a reptisun 5 on the cool side. We thought it was a little too dark in there with only the one, so we added the 5. We have a wrap around three sides of the tank so he can't see out of it. Hides on both ends. Mostly he sits on his basking rock at various levels throughout the day.

We did a lot of research before getting him. I'm just worried because I see these videos of them eating 60+ crickets a feeding being posted on youtube and I worry about the baby.

Also, I refer to the baby as a he, but I really don't know yet. I couldn't tell! It's just easier since out of all the humans/critters in my house, I'm the only female...

Like others have mentioned they usually will not starve themselves so I would not freak out quiet yet.
Babies eat a lot this is due to the fact that they are growing. However if your little guy is only eating a few at a time that is okay. Some only eat 20 a day others can eat up to 100! He knows when he is full way before we do. Just like people and other animals, every Beardie is different.
Most people generally recommend feeding outside of the enclosure, especially crickets. However if you feel confident that you can remove all of the insects that are left over you can try offering him some food in his enclosure. When I first got my girl this was the only way she would eat. She was new and only felt secure and relaxed enough to eat while in her enclosure. She wasn't use to me and removing her just over stimulated her and made her uninterested in food. Now she will eat anywhere with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
View attachment 15273 is the main one and then we have the 5.0 on the cool side.

These are not the "right" kind of bulbs. They only emit light in one direction, kinda like a spot light and after time can hurt their eyes. You need to get the tube bulb, when you can afford it.

If his temps are low that could be the reason right there he's not eating. Let's try to get his temps up to 105-107F and see if his appetite comes back!

After he eats does he bask? They need at least 2 hours to bask so they can digest their food.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He ate three roaches tonight!

Yeah!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!

See we told you to not freak out!! But what that tells me is you are a great parent/mommy!!!!

To be that concerned about him and to ask all those questions tells me you are a great mommy!! I know he has a wonderful life with you.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your doing all the right things.. The 40 gal is just fine and with the addition of a new UVB will make a good difference..
Both of mine are in 40g and I use 50-75 watt basking bulbs and I have the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 petmountain.com has good deals on them they just had 70% off... I use the 24" long hood that holds the 22" bulbs... the only thing you would need to do is get him/her closer to the UVB once you get them (don't do it necessarily now with the coil bulbs) the T5 will penetrate the mesh the T8 won't the T5 you replace once a year the T8 every 6 months... This can change if the hood gets moved around alot or gets banged a bunch...
Temps may be the whole issue with his activity...

Baby Dragons: Basking 100-107F warm 85-95F cool 70-75F
Juv Dragons: Basking anywhere from 95-107F Remember they need it to digest warm 85-95F cool 70F
Adults Basking 90-95F can also be low 100'sF warm 80-90F cool 70F
As long as the night time temps don't dip below 65F all is good if it does get a CHE to keep temps up.

It looks like your little one is 3/4 months old approx....

Just make sure your gut loading your feeders well dubia's gut load easily and lasts longer as their gi tract is longer...remember live is best so no pellets.
Dubia, crickets, superworms, silkworms, phoenix worms (all staple items) hornworms, butterworms (great for hydration) waxworms treat item.

If you haven't already take a look at the links below several of our comments for a great resource of information.
Hope this all helps

Latest posts