• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Baby Question

HugoBoss

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a new baby beardie who is about 3 1/2 months old. I've only had him for a few days so I've been trying to let him adjust. For the first couple days he was fine with me, but last night I went to pick him up to clean out his cage he puffed up opened his mouth and lunged at my hand. I was finally able to get him when he jumped on his log. Once I was holding him he squirmed a bit but settled down and was fine. I've had babies before but none of them did this so I'm not sure what to do. I don't want him to grow up and be mean.
Thanks for your help in advance =)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They have moods just like we have. You may have surprised it. Always approach slowly from the front, being sure that it is aware that you are there, slide your hand under & support it's belly & as much of the tail as possible. Never pick it up by the sides. Approach from above can trigger their fear of predators from the air.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
he is very new to you and does not understand his new home yet. many BDs will get in a bad mood after they are in a new home. after a week or so of getting use to where he is he should calm down, sometimes it takes two weeks.

it may very well depend on how his last owners took care of him. if they were mean to him then it sees all humans as a threat and acts as such.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I left my beardie alone for about 2 weeks when I first got him. They just need time to adjust to their new surroundings. I never pick up my beardie from behind or the side. I sort of wave my hand in front of him so he can see me, give him a few love strokes on his head, and then pick him up. He usually doesn't squirm and if he does I will just hold him until he quiets down. He likes to think he is the alpha but I know better....lol....:D

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
The more you handle the baby beardie, the more he will get used to it and probably calm down. Maybe bring him outside in the sun for a few minutes with him on your hand and pet him a bit. If he was abused it may be more challenging to get him to settle down but keep loving him and keep trying to handle him and hopefully he'll get used to it and get used to you!

Latest posts