• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new baby breaded dragon doing very weird gulping and is super bloated??

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello, ive never used this forum before, but im extremely worried. i just got a new beardie about 2 weeks ago and i made a rookie mistake about five days ago and let him jump out of my hands. after that, he's been gulping very heavily where he even has to open his mouth a bit to breathe. he's also been getting increasingly bloated. if anyone has any advice, please please let me know.

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
here are two pictures of him "normal" then him breathing in a LOT of air

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200416-104320.png
    Screenshot_20200416-104320.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20200416-104312.png
    Screenshot_20200416-104312.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 64

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
he ate quite a few crickets yesterday and tends to bask (he's been going in the warmer areas rather than the "hot spots"). he hasn't pooped in at least a day, but i gave him a small bath this morning so im hoping he does today. he's in a 40 gallon and i wasn't aware that stick ons were bad (it says the basking is about 100°F). and im not sure why but in pictures he looks okay but when i touch his belly it feels like a balloon, like it's more stretched than it's supposed to be. my only other idea about why he's breathing so deeply is maybe his nose is plugged from shed? i don't see any, but he has been rubbing his face against the wood in his enclosure.

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
i use carpet, no loose substrate. i use a regular bulb as well, no coils. i don't see she'd on his face yet, but he keeps running his face on wood occasionally. GOOD NEWS THOUGH --he just pooped! it was pretty large so i think that relieved some pressure in his belly but he's still breathing pretty hard.

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
his beard isn't black, but the fall happened a few days ago. i thought that he had hurt his jaw, but he's been eating without a problem, and i checked his abdomen and i don't see any ribs sticking out or anything. thank you so much for the help, it's really helping me figure out what to do for him in the future. hopefully the breathing thing isn't a big deal though, i would like him to poop more though, just to ensure that he's okay..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200407-105233~2.png
    Screenshot_20200407-105233~2.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 59

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
i cant remember the brand name since ive had the bulb for years (i had an older beardie before), but yes, it has both heat and UVB.

kass

Bearded Dragon Egg
again i only have stick on thermometer rn and the basking temp is 100°F. i recently moved out so i don't have the ideal enclosure but im going to go to the nearest (pet)store and get a 24 inch UVB fixture with a reflector.

Latest posts