• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new baby Beardie

Beardeddragon1

Hatchling Dragon
I’m new to keeping bearded dragons, I got mine yesterday he’s a juvenile around 4 months. I was wondering when would be best to start trying to handle him ? He eats fine and takes food from the tongs occasionally however, he does seem a bit skitish.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
With a skittish one, I'd give him a week or so to settle in. Then I'd start setting my hand in the tank without touching him a few times a day, letting him get used to being in there. Then I'd slowly start petting him, without picking him up. Once he seems to tolerate touching well, I'd start holding him IN the tank. When he's good with that, I'd start lifting him out and handling him more.

Remember to approach him from the side, rather than reaching toward him from above. They are preyed upon by birds, so they are naturally wary of anything "flying" down at them from overhead.

Beardeddragon1

Hatchling Dragon
Do you think I should try and pet him in a few days to see how he reacts. If he reacts bad Ill go with putting my hand in before etc. But if he reacts well I’ll continue petting him in the tank to gain his trust ?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
There’s no exact science to this, and ultimately, he’s your beardie. Do as seems suitable to you. If you’re dying to touch him in a couple of days, go ahead and try to pet him. If he doesn’t like it, back off for another couple of days. But if he puffs when you touch him, don’t pull away immediately, or you’ll teach him that that behavior makes you go away, and it will reinforce it. Does that all make sense?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
No, it was him being a stinker. When he opens his mouth or puffs up is when you need to DON'T remove your hand. If you do, he learns, "When I puff up and threaten, the scary hand goes away. So I need to puff up and threaten every time the scary hand appears." If you leave it there, or even go ahead and pet him regardless, he learns, "The scary hand ignores my puffing, and I wasn't hurt by it. So there's no point puffing any more, and I guess the hand isn't so scary after all."

Beardeddragon1

Hatchling Dragon
No, it was him being a stinker. When he opens his mouth or puffs up is when you need to DON'T remove your hand. If you do, he learns, "When I puff up and threaten, the scary hand goes away. So I need to puff up and threaten every time the scary hand appears." If you leave it there, or even go ahead and pet him regardless, he learns, "The scary hand ignores my puffing, and I wasn't hurt by it. So there's no point puffing any more, and I guess the hand isn't so scary after all."
Okay thankyou! He really isn’t fazed when my hands in his tank but he always seems to have ‘stress marks’ on his belly and up his neck. I’m not 100% sure that they are stress marks but it’s like a funny pattern

Beardeddragon1

Hatchling Dragon
726E1409-454E-4706-BD73-8FE344A2B3C4.jpeg

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Babies often have those marks visible, without it seeming to be indicative of much. And they'll often get darker when they're colder, like if they're out of their tank running around.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
He's awfully pretty. I do highly recommend you get rid of the sand or gravel substrate. Especially in a baby, it poses an impaction risk. And it's not very sanitary.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
There are several options, depending on what look you like. When Jayne was in her temporary "starter" tank, I just used paper towels. Not the most attractive, but it was super easy to clean and very cheap. Right now, we have textured slate tiles in her tank. Very easy to wipe clean and to see the healthiness of her poop. (Don't use the slick, glossy tiles. Too slippery for them.) A lot of people use non-adhesive shelf liner. Also very easy to wipe clean, and there are different patterns and designs.

Beardeddragon1

Hatchling Dragon
There are several options, depending on what look you like. When Jayne was in her temporary "starter" tank, I just used paper towels. Not the most attractive, but it was super easy to clean and very cheap. Right now, we have textured slate tiles in her tank. Very easy to wipe clean and to see the healthiness of her poop. (Don't use the slick, glossy tiles. Too slippery for them.) A lot of people use non-adhesive shelf liner. Also very easy to wipe clean, and there are different patterns and designs.
Okay thanks. Did you have Jayne from being a juvenile & was she easy to tame ?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
We got her when she was around 5-6 inches long. But we were really lucky in that she was always very handle-able. There were times when she was running around my room and wasn't ready to go back in her tank that she would puff her beard and open her mouth at me. But she never attempted to bite, and I'd pick her up anyway. She doesn't do that anymore. She lately has shown no interest in running around at all and just wants to be snuggled, instead. (She's currently around 13-14 inches. 5-6 months old, we're not sure, exactly.)

Almost every beardie is tameable. So don't get discouraged and give up! You're new and scary. He'll soon learn that you're safe and provide food and warmth.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Once you've given him a week or so to settle in, this is what I highly recommend. A little while after his lights go off at night, when he has settled down to sleep and is mostly passed out, gently lift him out and wrap in in a fleece blankie and snuggle him to sleep. They're pretty lethargic at this time and totally at your mercy. He'll learn that you're warm and safe. It's a good way to bond. Hand feeding is good, too.

Beardeddragon1

Hatchling Dragon
We got her when she was around 5-6 inches long. But we were really lucky in that she was always very handle-able. There were times when she was running around my room and wasn't ready to go back in her tank that she would puff her beard and open her mouth at me. But she never attempted to bite, and I'd pick her up anyway. She doesn't do that anymore. She lately has shown no interest in running around at all and just wants to be snuggled, instead. (She's currently around 13-14 inches. 5-6 months old, we're not sure, exactly.)

Almost every beardie is tameable. So don't get discouraged and give up! You're new and scary. He'll soon learn that you're safe and provide food and warmth.
Yeah he’s not bad for only having him 2 days to be fair. I think I’m just impatient.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
It's so easy to be impatient! I wanted Jayne to be snuggly and love me and jump into my arms right off the bat. She didn't. At first, she wouldn't even eat out of my hands--only my husband's. But now, she loves to snuggle any time of day, and she seems to trust me 100%. I've only had her not-quite-four months, so it really didn't take that long!