• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New again. Unexpected dragon mommy

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there, I have been a member but been a few years since I have been on here as I have been dragonless. However I work at a petstore here and leaving work a week ago there were a couple leos in a tank left outside in the cold and what I thought was a shoe box of supplies. Took them home they were freezing and super thin and open the box not to supplies but to a beardy who I thought was dead.he was so cold and so stiff and lifeless. I put him in a warm bath and 15 minutes later his eyes popped open and he/she perked up. So far he is doing well, he is skin and bones you can see his ribs, hips and spine but otherwise alert and happy with a healthy appetite. Seeing our vet and so far looking like he can recover fully. But it has been awhile so I will be doing some lurking and reminding myself things I need and tips that might be helpful.
Ill try and post some pics on here, go easy on me I know his tank is small, I'm doing what I can for now till I can get a larger one he wasn't planned. I do have a UV light on him now since the pics were taken, been buying things daily it seems.

Attachments

• beardy 5.jpg
    beardy 5.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 54
  • beardy.jpg
    beardy.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 48
  • beardy2.jpg
    beardy2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 47
  • beardy3.jpg
    beardy3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 48
  • beardy4.jpg
    beardy4.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 46

rob.kolm

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
God bless you for the rescue but I have to ask how in the heck could it happen in the first place? If it's a chain can you report it to corporate? Someone should face animal cruelty charges.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How sad that they didn't think to take them to a shelter. They obviously had some feeling for them because they brought them to a place where someone would find them and rescue them rather than leave them out by the garbage. It's still real sad. So glad that you were the one that found them and took them in. The dragon looks great for what he's been through, very alert. You can fatten him up in no time! I would name him Olaf :)

rob.kolm

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ahh re-reading I understand that someone left them at the pet store not that the pet store left them outside.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
no someone left him outside of the store ,not inside. and no way to report someone when you don't know who it is... it was so cold that day took im in BC canada so temps are low. And lol @ Olaf we did bring that name up... we are between cricket and ohana ... not sure yet

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good for you !!! Shame on "them" - He looks pretty good ok

ccook94

Juvenile Dragon
Poor baby! I'm sure he's just glad to have a warm home with some good food right now. :)

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think we agreed on Ohana for the name. He is sure loving my youngest son he is all chill with me till my youngest sits by us and he almost flys off my lap to get to him and will run around the floor to get to where my son is sitting to watch tv with him. This dragon has a personality it's hilarious,,,, and im just the food lady to him.I walk in from work and he plasters himself against the glass watching me like " what kinda bugs you bring me today " lol.... and bath time is it normal to have them stick their faces in the water? he will submerge his head and he drinks alot... seems to enjoy it though and falls asleep in the towel after.. so cute. I missed having a dragon.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He's dehydrated so he is going to want to drink a lot. Just make sure he doesn't keep his head under for too long, you don't want him to drown. Mine will just put their chin in far enough to lick the water with their tongues. Or they will put their heads up and start licking and that's my cue to drip water on their nose.

It's great that he's being so friendly and trusting with you already. Sounds like he wasn't wasn't traumatized too much.

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks, ya I kept popping his head out of the water and he would just do it again.been doing baths every other night is that ok? or too often? he just seems to enjoy it and figured dehydrated too .

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think given his situation a bath every other day or every 3 days isn't going to hurt him. As long as he likes it and it doesn't stress him out.

Latest posts