• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New addition, need lighting info

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Right now we have our bearded in a tank that has a screen top and is about 1.5-2'wide, about 4'long and about 18" high. There is a heat lamp that he likes to bask on his log (will change it to a rock soon after reading about it today) but I need to get a uvb lamp....

1.) can you suggest which light to get for this size of tank?
2.) how long do I leave each light on for?
3.) I have the room temp set for 20C, but I know it gets colder than that, so I read I should get a ceramic heat emitter...what is that and where would I get one?

Thank you!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get the longest uvb you can. The reptisun 10.0 is a good one.

The heat and the uvb should be on for 12-14 hours a day. I use a timer. One around 6:30 am then off around 7:30 pm. You can do what is good for you.

The temp in the tank should be on the basking spot 95-105* for an adult beardie. The Cool end can be 75ish.

20c is 65*F. As long as it doesn't go below 60* at night, you need no heat at night at all. All lights/heat should go out at night.

Realize that if your tank is 18" high then your beardie needs to get upwards of 6" to the top for optimal uvb exposure. You can use limbs to get him up there. You can use a log or a rock for a basking spot. I actually had both. The rock is great for him to climb on to naturally trim his nails.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can get a CHE at any reptile store. We offer it on the site's store. Here's the link:
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-reptile-supplies.php

Do a search for heat emitter and you will see the returns. You only need one if the night temps drop below 65F (18C). I've only needed on when the winter temps were freezing.

I like the cool end to be around 85F (29C) during the day.

Latest posts