• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nesting help

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
So my dragon has started nesting today, and it's confirmed she had at least 20 inside her when there was an x-ray done at the vet. She laid two since leaving the vet, and had a nice nesting box/bin with deep sand. However she seems super exhausted.

Is this normal? Granted she has had a long day in general, but I just needed to be sure that she's alright. I worry a lot, and I'm so fearful of egg-binding ><

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
I also wanted to know if it would be worth it to spay her? Is it a very risky surgery? Does it have way more complications than it's worth? Any info on that would be great!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just keep an eye on her and and if you think something is wrong call your vet that saw her.. Most vets will only spay them if they are having serious issues during this process, remember this is a natural process so most dragons can pass their eggs. You gotta remember she was thought to be a male so maybe if it was known ahead of time....ya know... Spaying is a very risky surgery for them and won't be done (or shouldn't be done) unless other options are looked at and she's in acute distress.

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
So still no eggs :/

So far, since being at the vet, there have only been 3 in total laid. Vet said she had at least 20 in there, and I have been giving her the daily doses of liquid calcium, liquid diet food, and warm baths. She has a large bin in her tank with the heat light, and plenty of deep soil to dig and lay her eggs. Should I be concerned? She still seems fairly active and not too lethargic. And she has been digging on and off the past two days. I'm just concerned about her not laying them yet, and the risk of them being binded :/

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just let her be. Make sure the substrate in her box is moist enough to hold a tunnel but not too moist and deep enough for her to dig. Some people also cover the tank too to make them feel more comfortable.

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
Just let her be. Make sure the substrate in her box is moist enough to hold a tunnel but not too moist and deep enough for her to dig. Some people also cover the tank too to make them feel more comfortable.

I did just that, and this morning she laid 23 eggs! :)

I don't know if she's done though. As I gave her another warm bath sometime after, and she popped another egg. Is there an easy way tot tell when they're fully done?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I did just that, and this morning she laid 23 eggs! :)

I don't know if she's done though. As I gave her another warm bath sometime after, and she popped another egg. Is there an easy way tot tell when they're fully done?

Sorry, just getting a chance to get on here. Did she lay any more? There really is no way to tell if they have more without getting an ultrasound. Hope she is doing well.

Latest posts