• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Neglected beardie, is he small for his age? Is he sick?

alofty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys,
I recently rescued a beardie from a neglectful owner. When I picked him up he had not had any food or light for a week. As far as I know he has never had prolonged exposure to UVB.

I know for a fact that he is at least 1 year old. This picture is from when the owner bought him Dec of 2012:
20h0qdy.jpg

But I don't know how old he was when he was purchased.

Right now he is about 13 inches long. He doesn't seem too skinny, but he was really sluggish when I first got him. He's much more active today, it's been 3 days since I got him.

I'm wondering if that seems small for his age and if it is, what should I expect for his life span and health? Should I do any extra things for him since he was neglected previously?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
Its hard to tell from that pic. But going by head to body ratio he does look small

"Head to body ratio" I just coined that term ;-)

Im sure ull doba hell of a job getting his stats up!!

beardielover23

Bearded Dragon Egg
He might be stressed. Movement from one place to another can be a major perturbation factor. But if you can, ask the previous owner if he'd been exposed to UVB or direct sunlight or even calcium supplmentation. If he's eating, he should be fine. Make sure he basking side is at the right temperature and feed him foods with appropriate caloric and nutrient rich values. ..There are pages on the Internet that go into detail on all that. He'll be fine.

Latest posts