• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with lighting please.

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, I decided to get a bearded dragon sometime in the near future but I want to make sure to set up his enclosure right before purchasing one. I have watched a ton of youtube videos and read a lot of care sheets but it seems everyone has a different opinion on bulbs and fixtures... I was wondering if someone here could point me in the right direction.

I have a 55 gal tank (for now). I'll get a shallower tank in the future. I live in Florida and the room the tank is in stays around 75 degrees year round, give or a take. I was thinking about buying 2 clamp lights and using one with the powersun mercury 100 watt bulb and the other with a halogen flood light. I read I didn't need a ceramic lamp since my room never drops below 72 at night. I also was reading about the strip lights but it seems like its 50/50 on the people that use them.

Anyhow if someone can tell me what I should or shouldn't get for my setup, that would be great!

Thanks,Matt

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i know if your room does not drop below 65 at night then you dont need a light i still use a ceramic bulb at night on my heat end of my tank just incase my beardie does get cold but it is not needed and i have never used a strip light but i know some people on here have used them but that doesn't help you bc it still is 50/50 people on that

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so would the 2 dome lights be good? What about the bulbs as well?

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yes i have 2 dome lights.... i use a ceramic bulb and a 65 high intensity bulb durning the day on 1 side that produces a hot spot of 110 ((i have a big tank)) and a UVB 36 inch light across the top. . . at night i cut all lights of besides the ceramic bulb which keeps the heat side at 85 degrees.... you can get the color bulbs for night time if you use a heat light at night but bearded dragons can see the colors ((red,blue,green. . .)) when other reptiles cant

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Does the 65 stand for the wattage? I read about the night lights so I won't be using those. My house never drops below 72 and never above 78, does my idea of having the powersun bulb and the flood light work? What is the wattage i should need?

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yes it is 65 watt um... i dont see why it wouldnt work as long as it got UVB.... i mean thats plenty of heat which what your doing wattage depends on your tank size mostly the bigger the tank the high the wattage but also it depends on the animal and beardies need temps of 105 - 115 durning the day and at night not let it go below 65 degrees at night... if it was me in your shoes a 65 watt bulb would be fine

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
and to be honest your thinking to much into it.... ((which is not a bad thing at all)) but it isnt as hard as it seems with light once you have set up your tank and see what temps are in your tank....

Matt

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was in the tropical fish hobby for many years, mostly having reef and live planted tanks which required all sorts of lighting and I learned it is always better to plan ahead...I just want to make sure I do it right, from the beginning.

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thats always good but bearded dragons are not that hard to take care. . . its when you breed them and want different morphs is when it is hard ((so i hear)) i have never done it but just keeping your beardie alive and happy is not hard as long as you have the right heat and food. . . you are good to go and your in the right place just explore this website and read and all your answers will be answered. . . it might also help to go look at photos of tank and pictures of animals just to see what type of setup's there are on this site.....

Latest posts