• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help/advice

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Some of you may know, that my dance teacher had 2 beardies. For those who don't know....

My teacher got them at an expo as babies. She kept them in the classroom all week, and took them home on the weekend. They were housed together in a 15 gallon tank, with only a basking bulb. They were first kept on sand, in which I advised her to change it because of the impaction risks, etc. So, I came in the classroom the next day, finding aquarium rocks as the substrate. This time, I offered to take out the rocks, and put my own substrate in there, which was this tablecloth material, that I was using at the time for my own beardies, which worked well for a while.

She fed them a few crickets every few days, that's it. And they got a bit of veggies, like peas and some lettuce or something. The crickets were not dusted with calcium either. And the basking spot was a very low temp (I checked with my own therm that I brought to her class one day). I think the highest it got to was 35*C.

I did talk to her about how many crickets she was feeding them. I told her that what she was giving them was WAY low to what they were supposed to be eating. I told her they can eat 25+ crickets each A DAY. She was pretty shocked.

These beardies were just not growing.

She did think about all the stuff I said, and came to the conclusion where she was going to re-home the beardies, because the cost of feeding was just ridiculously high. So, she traded her 2 beardies for 2 leopard geckos. The beardies went to my friend.

I talk to my friend about the care she's giving the beardies, since she got them. She's housing them together in a 55 gallon tank, with sand, and she says she has uvb for them now (after I advised her to get it). When she got them, she fed them mealies, but I advised her not feed mealies to them. I'm not exactly sure of how many crickets she's been feeding them since she got them. I don't want to get too snoopy, ya know? But, they surely did not grow. She told me, a few days ago, that they were only 8-10 inches, give or take.

My teacher got them in September last year, at a few months old. So they're definitely over a year now. 8-10 inches at that age is......wow.

Now I have some questions.

Since they're over a year old now, should protein still be offered daily? (because of their size). Would protein daily help them grow more? How can they grow more, if possible?

I need some advice.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Offer them insects daily until they(dragons) start to back off... I didn't keep to any rule of thumb myself, but allowed my 4 to tell me when they wanted their insects, and when they didn't... Usually around the 12-18 months is when they normally will back off...
Hope this helps.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor babies. They have been through so much.

As Janie points out, typically around the 1 year mark, dragons will eat fewer proteins and have salad as their daily meal. Proteins are typically offered 3 times per week.

However, since these guys have had such a rough time of it, they may eat their proteins longer than the average dragon.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will pass this on to my friend.

Was their growth so stunted that they won't reach near adult size?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's hard to say. Some dragons come back after time with proper care, but most likely she will not reach the largest dragons can get (24 inches).

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow that is small for a 1 year old, I think my lil guy rex is maybe 4 months and change at most and he is 11 1/2 inches. Btw that reminds me. Do you think Petco would disclose the background of Rex's background info based on the fact I bought him from the new batch in mid June? Surely they could give me the breeders email / phone number. But who knows with corporate policy these days. Funny thing is I had looked into Iguanas more so than Beardies when I went to that Petco. But I saw Rex in their and he was trying to get at me through the glass so badly. And when the lady got him out for me he was soo chill in my hand and just stared at me like he was trying to put on his best behavior! Haha. The others I handled would run all over the place etc; one even climbed on top of my head lol. But anyway I'm kind of in the same position I believe Pogie was in(correct me if it was somebody else). I'd love to know his birthday. I showed Rex to my mom the other day and she was amazed at how much he's grown, last time she saw him was right after I bought him when he was tiny. Sorry if I semi-hijacked your thread :(

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I hope those little beardies will up in size.

Justus85 said:
Do you think Petco would disclose the background of Rex's background info based on the fact I bought him from the new batch in mid June?

Wish I had an answer to that, but I don't. Haven't been in that position before. As if they would have the organization to gather that information lol.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When do they stop growing? I know they are considered mature as far as breeding goes at 18 month.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
When do they stop growing? I know they are considered mature as far as breeding goes at 18 month.

Typically, after 2 years of age you won't see anymore growth.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
I hope those little beardies will up in size.

Justus85 said:
Do you think Petco would disclose the background of Rex's background info based on the fact I bought him from the new batch in mid June?

Wish I had an answer to that, but I don't. Haven't been in that position before. As if they would have the organization to gather that information lol.

Petco can most likely give you the name of the DISTRIBUTOR they were delivered from. The distributor is a wholesaler that buys from any one of 10,000 breeders (both professional and backyard) for resale. The possibility of him telling you who bred the dragon in question is about nada.

To answer your question, follow feeding guidelines for juveniles until they are approximately 18 months old by your time clock. 6 months won't make a big difference. They will gain a little, but will not reach the potential they should have.
proper nutrition, calcium and a varied diet will assist with the most prosperous growth.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
staylor said:

Typically, after 2 years of age you won't see anymore growth.

Good so there is hope Piggy will get bigger. She is still so little for her age

Latest posts