• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Advice

Staciej

Bearded Dragon Egg
We purchased a 10 week old in November so she is now about 15 weeks old. We have her in a 40 gallon terrarium. The person we got her from told us to feed her large super worms and gave us no more info and to only feed her 5 large super worms a day plus to feed her greens which she eats very well. I am getting conflicting stories as what to feed her especially when it comes how much to feed her. We bought small super worms I was told to feed her as much as she will eat in 15 minutes and she goes crazy over super worms she ate 40 in 3 minutes and we stopped because we felt that wasn’t a good idea. She has been having good sheds every 3-4 weeks. We dust her food with calcium without D3 5 days a week and with D3 one day and vitamins once a week. We just want to make sure we are doing it right. Thanks in advance for any help.
82624ba4a37a82126d2c4004cfc541da.jpg
13a2750e3d17d246d5e0dfc72500606e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
I would say don't feed a dragon past 10 superworms a day, after a certain point they can impact (constipate) her. I feed mine crickets as a staple, with a side of daily kale or other assorted greens. Occasionally I will give them large superworms, but no more than 10 in a feeding. Mealworms are also a go to, although they are pretty heavy on chitin and will require adequate heat for a certain period of time for proper digestion. There really isn't a specific way to feed a Bearded dragon because of the variety of things they can eat. You could browse online and find helpful sites that can point you to what is safe or unsafe for your beardie to eat. Other than that, she seems to be doing good. Beautiful looking dragon!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The big thing about superworms is that they are high in fat so they shouldn't be the only thing you feed and they should be fed in moderation. Too much fat in their diet can lead to fatty liver disease. Add in some of the other go to feeders like dubia, BSFL (aka reptiworms, calciworms) crickets, hornworms, silkworms, (treat items are waxworms, butterworms)

ohwonder

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awe shes so cute !
This forum is full of advice, one of the tips that i learned is that after the last feeding of the day - there should be at least 2/3 hours of the lights (heat lamp and "sun light" ) being on afterwards to aid in digestion

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Awe shes so cute !
This forum is full of advice, one of the tips that i learned is that after the last feeding of the day - there should be at least 2/3 hours of the lights (heat lamp and "sun light" ) being on afterwards to aid in digestion
Yup, the heat aids in digestion. [emoji846]

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
We were to only feed her once a day. Is this good info or bad?

It's up to you. I feed mine once a day, it's really I think recommended if you have a 1+ yr old beardie. Anything Smaller is said to be fed twice to three times daily, although I think feeding that much could lead to an obese dragon?
They will do just fine fed once a day, I think it's best on morning cuz ive notice they are more active.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
That's the beauty in caring for beardies, because there are so many ways to feed them that suits both the beardie and the owner. [emoji846]

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Variety is the key. Get some dubia roaches, silkworms, BSFL, even crickets. We are learning that supers, once thought a good every day staple, are actually high in fat and can not only give you an overweight dragon pretty fast, but could also cause fatty liver disease and kidney problems. Fed in moderation along with other bugs, they are fine. Meal worms however are not good no matter what. They are nothing but hard shell.

Staciej

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you everyone for the replies.

How much should she be eating? We have cut her back to 10 small to medium super worms per day and she loves greens but we aren’t sure how much is a good amount for her. We don’t want to over feed or under feed her. She will eat some blueberries and veggies if I chop them small enough.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you everyone for the replies.

How much should she be eating? We have cut her back to 10 small to medium super worms per day and she loves greens but we aren’t sure how much is a good amount for her. We don’t want to over feed or under feed her. She will eat some blueberries and veggies if I chop them small enough.

I think a good diet might be 10 super worms every other days, alternating between veggies and bugs. Although superworms are pretty fatty, they have almost the same fat as protein, if not more.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Feed veggies every day. She is still young so I would feed her twice a day, make sure that you feed at least 2 hours before lights go out at night. I would limit supers to maybe 8 every couple of days but I would feed her a different type of bug the other times.

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
I buy 1000 large crickets at a time and I dust and feed them 20-30 once maybe twice a day with Endive and fresh water one male and one female they’re both in 75 gal tanks

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They are eating machines when they are babies, remember, they are in a state of rapid growth and they need a lot of protien. Both of mine would eat as many as 40 or 50 small dubias at that age (a day,each), and dubias are the most nutritious of the feeders. Mine however would not even look at veggies(they would poop on em instead lol), so you are fortunate there.

Stupicide85

Hatchling Dragon
also, if you do use superworms, make sure they aren't just large mealworms. from what I read, pet stores try to pass off giant mealworms as supers. I'm feeding mine crickets 2-3x a day as many as he can eat in 10 minutes or until he becomes disinterested. I want to switch to roaches soon, and I'm doing research on it. as soon as I see him wake up in the morning and become active, I give him his veggies. he's more inclined to eat them if I place him by the bowl.

Latest posts