• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice on bonding/taming

Kailey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone!

So, my beardie, Buddy, is still a baby. He’s around three months old (a guestimate, as the pet store didn’t tell me his date of birth). He’s still a bit skittish and squirmy when holding him, which is to be expected, but I’ve been working with him a lot and holding him every day so he’s gotten a lot better in my hand. The issue is when I go to get him out of his tank.

When I reach my hand in, he runs away immediately. Even if it’s just to get his food or water dish, or to clean his poo. If I try to grab him, he gets aggressive. Hissing, flaring, black beard, the whole shebang. He’s bit me a few times. Never hard enough to draw blood but it’s always surprising. I try not to give up so he doesn’t learn that he can aggro his way out of being held.

Once he’s in my hand, he’s fine. He squirms, but doesn’t try to bite any more. As far as I know I haven’t hurt or injured him in any way, although he has leapt from my hand once and landed on the carpet. I checked him and he didn’t seem hurt but you never know.

Another note, when I put him back in his tank, he immediately starts “glass surfing” which I know is a sign of stress. I can’t figure out why he’s so displeased. His basking temps are right (I think). He eats well, he’s pooping normally. Is he just grumpy? If you have any tips, tricks, advice, I’m more than happy to listen! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• E1A1F465-0352-4504-8F8F-8BBFBD1B5682.jpeg
    E1A1F465-0352-4504-8F8F-8BBFBD1B5682.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 558BEA9C-B7C2-47DA-9F27-92B27A1C7C55.jpeg
    558BEA9C-B7C2-47DA-9F27-92B27A1C7C55.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Make sure when you are reaching in his tank to pick him up that you aren't going over his head. There is a gland on top of his head that allows him to see lights and shadows and alerts him if a predator is trying to get him. Covering that "eye" with your hand, makes him think something is trying to eat him. Instead, put your hand in front of him and scoop him up under his chest. With your other hand, just guide his back end on to your and and support his tail.

Kailey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Patsy! I try to be cautious of that at the beginning but I’ll admit I get frustrated when he keeps running away, so I end up having to go over him to grab him. I’ll work on making sure I’m always under him when trying to pick him up. Another quick question though. Is he too young for brumation? I’ve read varying accounts of when they start. Even if he’s not in brumation should I still adjust his light schedules?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He is too young for brumation. Usually they don't start thinking about it until about 18 months. He should always be on a 12/12 light schedule so he can rest and recharge.