• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NAILS!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What does everyone do about their BD's nails???? Dexter is about 4.5 months old and she has these little needles that come out of her feet! I can see the tips of her nails if I hold her up to the light but it's a little tough because she has clear nails, will they get dark when she is older or will she always have clear nails?

DarwinDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Darwin is almost seven- clear nails but you can see (what I assume to be) a vein that runs through it just like a cat's nails.
Peace, Love and Dragons! :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your BD has ALL 20 clear nails, then it is showing a 'Hypo' trait, one black one & it's not.

Claws are there for a purpose, needlessly trimming them can & will inhibit it's natural ability to safely climb & hang on to things without falling. Keeping a good sized natural rock in the enclosure will act as an emery board & help keep it's claws in check as it climbs over it. There are times when trimming is necessary, but not often. In over a Decade & many dragons, only twice have I ever had to trim a BDs nails & both times because they had grown to a length that would cause the toes to twist sideways, therefore it was necessary.

If trimming is absolutely necessary, a small claw trimmer with the "V" cutters, same as is used for cats & smaller dogs is what is required. They are readily available at most Pet Stores. DO NOT use human nail clippers, as they will crush & splinter the claw, opening up a whole new can of painful worms.

This following pics will show where to cut ...

BDnailclipping2.jpg
BDnailclipping.jpg

If trimming, keep a bottle cap of flour or corn starch handy, in case you accidentally cut to the Quip, dipping the tip of the claw into the flour or starch will help slow/stop the bleeding.

Hope this helps.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, she has 10 clear nails. Well 9.5 because she broke one of them off. I read about someone else having a "hypo" dragon. Dexter has clear nails but she has black/dark grey coloring on her back and the spots by her shoulders. So I assume that means she's not completely hypo?

Thanks for the images, they are very helpful!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks so much for the info! I always knew we had something special :) with her.

Latest posts