• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nail issue

KelliLorenz2000

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all. I'm endeavoring into the world of getting my first bearded dragon. I've been doing tons of research and talking to people. Went to a local reptile store last weekend to look at some. Here's my question/dilemma. .I have acrylic nails that are currently painted an awesome blue color. ..unfortunately the beardies took this to look like food and tried to eat my nails. Any suggestions on a color that would look less palatable? Or do I need to get rid of the nails?
Thanks in advance for the advice

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Did he just lick at at? Most beardies especially babies from what I've seen are very curios to what's around them. Just like children they want to touch everything. With there tongues. Mine licks me randomly all the time.

They learn quickly what is edible and what isn't so you should be fine. Mine took a bite out of the fake plant in his cage. Hasn't done it since haha

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Hmm that's odd I just had this issue with the gravel I put in the tank he was picking them up with his mouth so I took them out. Maybe just not that color?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When Dexter was younger and used to eat her salad she would lick at my nails but never try to bite me. I think Like Tyler said, they learn quickly what is edible and what isn't. Luci ate part of his fake plant once too and never did it again. They just like to taste their surroundings to make sure things are safe. You'll even see them tasting the the air around them, LOL!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Myah tastes everything all the time. She'll flick out her tongue several times even the wood I put in there to see if she can hold onto it with her claws. She hasn't discovered climbing the wood yet, so out it comes. (I'm working on the wood to make it easier for her use.)

Latest posts