• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My setup. From scratch

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all,

Well I've ordered the basics. Viv, lights, stats etc.

I am now looking at decoration obviously. I am looking at vinyl flooring, sand colour until he reaches an age were I can put down calci/play sand. I'm also looking at the 3d rock walls for the sides with a desert background for the back.

Other than feeding/ water dishes would a basking tree be the only things to have in there whilst he is growing and getting used to his regime?

I like the look of the hammocks but are they practical?

I've read elsewhere that whilst young I can't have too many hiding places for both him and food.

It's probably all answered for me but I'd like to keep it all in one place and update as I go along. I'll definitely be setting up at least 10 days in advance just to get temps right and also be able to see if I've got it right before he arrives.

Like a doting dad already and I've not even picked him yet lol

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

Well I've ordered the basics. Viv, lights, stats etc. Heat & UVB Bulbs & Fixtures, Digital or infrared thermometers, Thermostats are unnecessary & impractical in this application other than if night heat is absolutely necessary because the ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F (Aprox 17C). If this happens to be the case, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) should be used to provide the supplemental heat, no night lights of any kind.

I am now looking at decoration obviously. I am looking at vinyl flooring, sand colour until he reaches an age were I can put down calci/play sand. I'm also looking at the 3d rock walls for the sides with a desert background for the back. Calcium Sand poses serious impaction risks due to clumping when moistened.

X-ray of a Calcium Sand Impaction, pretty much a rock with legs.
impaction01.jpg

Other than feeding/ water dishes would a basking tree be the only things to have in there whilst he is growing and getting used to his regime? Possibly a flat bottomed rock that feeders can't hide under, water dishes are unnecessary as most BDs will not recognize or drink from standing water. Although there is the odd exception, if it is not being used, it only serves to raise the humidity in the enclosure unnecessarily. BDs get ample hydration from their food, regular misting & warm soaks.

I like the look of the hammocks but are they practical? Personal Preference

I've read elsewhere that whilst young I can't have too many hiding places for both him and food. True

It's probably all answered for me but I'd like to keep it all in one place and update as I go along. I'll definitely be setting up at least 10 days in advance just to get temps right and also be able to see if I've got it right before he arrives.

Like a doting dad already and I've not even picked him yet lol

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the info. Was already aware of the dangers of calci sand as it compacts when wet.

With regards to lights I meant both UVB and normal ones. Maybe didn't explain myself.

Other than summer my house will rarely be over 16 degrees, although I have ordered a ceramic heater.

This is exactly why I joined as I'll be all set up well before I get my beardie.

Thanks again :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the info. Was already aware of the dangers of calci sand as it compacts when wet. But yet you still mentioned it as an option ...

With regards to lights I meant both UVB and normal ones. Maybe didn't explain myself. Just being thorough, specifics were not mentioned ...

Other than summer my house will rarely be over 16 degrees, although I have ordered a ceramic heater. You keep a cool house ;) - or did you mean 'Under' 16C?

This is exactly why I joined as I'll be all set up well before I get my beardie.
icon_thumright-1.gif

Thanks again :)

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Lol indeed. I know where the viv will be could get quite chilly in winter. I gathered it'll be cheaper to keep him heated rather than the room too!

Terrible with words on the phone lol.

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
So I have the measurements for the viv.

It's around 100 litres from my local reptile shop. 36" across 24" high and 18 " deep.

With regards to light I have a powerful UV tube across the top with a ceramic heating bulbs. Are these sufficient or should I go with a regular bulb? The guy at the shop is more than flexible so if I opted for a different lighting set up I'm sure he'll swap within prices.
He has been based there for years and uses the same set up throughout and they all seem happy.

Sorry to keep bringing it up as I just want to get it spot on!

Bought a background too and have found the vinyl flooring I wanted.

Whilst in there I held a lovely 4 year old beardie who was quite comfortable just laying on my arm :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't recommend CHEs for daytime heat, BDs thrive on Bright, White Light, which is basically all UVA is. Your UVB Bulb may provide some UVA, but not bright enough. I would definitely go with a white or clear bulb for Daytime (Basking) heat.

By your dimensions, sounds like you have a 65 (255 liter) Gal enclosure that in reality, does not give you any more floor area than a 40 Gallon Breeder tank would, just harder to heat.

Tank volume.jpg

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry think I've got the width and height mixed up. Although looking at it seems massive.

So many contrasting opinions on what set up to have. As mentioned before if I go with the cheaper set up the shop said they'd give me credit for other things.
I didn't check out how much a non UVB strip and ceramic one would be so will look online.

Again, thanks for your help. Alot of it is also nerves with me as its all new to me and something I really want to get right.

Latest posts