• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Setup, and Shedding Baby Dragon, Please Give Advice

stoned philosopher

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All,

Below is my new terrarium 36"x12"x18" and baby Bearded Dragon named Hamlet. He is currently shedding for the first time since I had him and I am having a few concerns.

Some people say they need a special moss to help shed but other breeders say they don't.

Do I just leave him be until he is done or what should I do?

He isn't eating much but I understand that is normal for BDs when shedding. (should i take the crickets or the dish with collard greens and meal worms out?)

Terrarium Setup: basking/ hiding (cave), a log for him to crawl around on, a bowl with
lukewarm distilled water and a little dish of collard greens mixed with meal worm. 4 or 5 tiny crickets dusted in calcium. Above the terrarium I have a uvb bulb as well as a 100watt basking light giving about 105F on the basking rock and roughly 80F on the cooler side.

Any professional or experienced hobbyist advice will be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure my little buddy ends up living a long and healthy life.

Thank you in advance.

20131226_151612.jpg

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Not a professional or anything but with my little guy I will give him a nice warm bath helping the loose skin to fall off.

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Ya man to problem. I just get him out and hold him for a bit so he calms down and I fill a big plastic bowl with some warm to the touch water and slowly set him in it. And he cannot get out.

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Ya man no problem. I just get him out and hold him for a bit so he calms down and I fill a big plastic bowl with some warm to the touch water and slowly set him in it. And he cannot get out. Just make sure the bowl is large enough he cannot escape. And only fill with a shallow amount of water. Just enough to go about up to his armpits.

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Ya some like it some don't my guy is just finishing a shed also so he got a bath yesterday and I just gave him another one as I saw some skin flakes on him. He loves it. He Drinks a bunch of the water lol I think he is trying to drown himself but then he pops his head up and just enjoys it.

stoned philosopher

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will be spraying periodically and giving him daily bath while shedding. He really doesn't want to eat his crickets at all, he ran away from the little crickets. I gave him a batch of 10 and a little piece of collard green, he didn't eat any crickets and only a bite or 2 of the collard green. What do i do, he needs his nutrition?

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Not to sure on that. My guy is the same way but as soon as he is about done he picks back up on his eating. I'm switching from crickets to dubia roaches hoping he will have more of an interest in them. Plus you can put them in a dish they can't escape unlike crickets that scatter and hide everywhere.

stoned philosopher

Bearded Dragon Egg
Never mind, I took everything out the tank except Hamlet and the crickets, I left for about an hour and when I got back they were all gone. I gave him a bath as you said and used the soft tooth brush and front and rear legs and tail. Used warmer water, he still didn't like it but I think it may have been a bit better today then yesterday.

SpecialGreg

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds good. Ya I have to do the same by removing everything from the tank. That is why I am looking forward to feed dubia cause I have a dish they cannot crawl out of but Loki can get into.

Latest posts