• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new baby beardie

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your UVB does not appear to be close enough to do any good, the Max range for effective UVB coverage of a ReptiSun 5.0 is 12" from a "New" unfiltered bulb. That range dissipates quickly as the bulb ages & is why they must be replaced regularly. As Pat mentioned, a 10.0 should have been the choice to give a bit further range. I suggest you either use smaller fixtures so you can arrange them better or figure out something more effective. Once again that enclosure is not suited for this application & those fixtures are not suited for the enclosure.

Reactions: NLC

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Hey Germ. its weird, when i had the basking area at 105 he was close and seemed cofy, now he never goes to the top of basking wood? Could it be to hot or is just right finaly and he just dosnt need to go to the top now?

I understand about the UVB being the wrong size, but would he be active if it wasnt working? The only reason im asking is im trying to learn there behaviors more.

Pat B

Super Moderator
It isn't weird....your beardie just knows what it needs. If it is too hot, he will move away to a cooler temperature. If he isn't hungry....he won't eat. It has amazed me how these little critters know what they need. I tried putting water in my viv to get Spike to drink....nope....he wouldn't do it....so every now and then I will try to get him to drink by dripping water on his lips. It usually doesn't work so I don't worry. Spike eats his critters, very little greens unless I feed them to him, poops almost in the same spot and seems to be a happy boy. Keep asking your questions....if you don't ask you won't know and there is never a 'stupid' question. Good luck....:cool:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Previously it was likely going to the hottest point which may or may not have been hot enough. As explained in a previous post, those thermometers mounted on the glass are affected by the temp of the glass, which is affected as much from the outside temps as the inside, so are not giving you accurate readings. It is likely giving you cooler readings than it actually is, because of the cooler ambient room temps affecting the glass. It also appears that the closest point from the branch to the bulb could be 2-3" closer to the bulb than the thermostat, resulting in it being much hotter there & it is finding it's comfy temp lower on the branch because it is too hot higher up. This is why a digital thermometer with a sensor that can be placed or attached directly at the closest point to the bulb to give you actual accurate Basking Temps is recommended.

The whole purpose of a UVB bulb is to replace what is missing because of the lack of Natural Sun in captivity, sufficient UVB is required in order for it's body to manufacture it's own Vit D3 naturally, which in turn is needed to allow\enable it's body to process it's much needed Calcium intake to build strong young bones. The effects\symptoms of the lack of sufficient UVB may not manifest itself until it is too late, in the form of Calcium deficiency or crippling & often deadly MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease), to name a couple of the possible resulting related issues. BDs are well known for hiding\masking health issues until too late, which is why it is necessary to have the proper environment to start with.

He is active because he is a youngster ;). Enjoy it now, because when they get older they are not very active at all. At times, there are periods when it is an event if they turn their head, unless it's feeding time. :)

Hope this helps explain things a bit better.

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
ok after only what 2 days that cheep thermo broke. {one is a humid check}. So i went out and picked up a digi one. Holy cow you guys were right. and now i can see why he didnt go to the top anymore. 120....IS WAY TO FREAKEN HOT FOR HIM:(

Pat B

Super Moderator
But what is really interesting is that your beardie knew it was too 'freakin' hot and he, all my himself, made the adjustment!! Isn't that amazing how they know how to do that?? :D

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Ok the UVB issue is fixed. finaly found one that will work with my set up. Here in about 3-4 months when he will be out grown of that one we will be changeing tanks. This wont happen agin. And the issue with info from the reptile shop of only feeding him 2-3 crix a day was a misuderstanding. She says she ment at a meal. There shop was the only one with the UVB bulb i needed. The bad thing though was they were out of crix, so i got him small feeder worms. just for today till they get some crix in tomorrow.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Your beardie will probably eat more than 2-3 crix a meal. That isn't very much. The 'rule of thumb' is feed your beardie for about 10-15 minutes. I feed my beardie twice a day....8 am and 5 pm. If he doesn't eat within 10-15 minute time frame then I quit and I don't leave any food in his viv except for greens and he doesn't like those....lol :rolleyes:

Latest posts