• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my guys hooked on collards and wont even try anything else

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wanted my guy to be a great veggetarian! but...hes not, he only likes his collard greens :(...any suggestions...he liked squash at first but now he wont even touch it reguardless the type.

Strange_Evil

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wait, he's eating crickets still right? lol that would be weird if he's not.

But if you mean collards are the only green he's taking,then maybe you haven't tried the right greens yet, you tried mustard greens or snapped peas?

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes hes still eating his crickets, I wish hed eat more of them lol, but right now he just finished shedding so im hoping his appetite picks up again. I have not tried snapped peas yet. How do you feed them? My guy is still little.

Strange_Evil

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Lols,i wish mines would eat less of them. They run through about 30 a day a piece. Can't wait until my dubia colony starts booming.

But usually when mines are in shed i noticed they still eat, they eat no matter what. My snakes are the only ones who get a bit grumpy and refuse to eat during shedding, so thats something to always look into.

As for peas, i think they have to be a bit older considering the size of peas. Mines are both around 8 and 10inches and i plan to wait a bit longer before offering snapped peas. My male though, he's around 18" and its just like it sounds, you snap peas and serve them lol. But peas are something i do like once a month with him, its mostly,collars,mustard greens and squash for him.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A dragon can never be a vegitarian and remain healthy.
If your looking to increase his cricket intake, feed your crickets the stems of your greens. This will gut load them and your dragon will taste the greens in every crunchy bite.
If the only green your dragon ever eats is collard you will be fine, but you still need bugs.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thank you, lol, funny thing is as of recently he began eating only crickets and no collards or veggies at all! cant figure him out lol

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
For me, George was the same way...I mostly gave him crickets for the first year and offered the collards at least once a day. I will say this, all of a sudden around 15 months, he just started trying different stuff. He never ate fruits or other kinds of veggies, but as he become more of an adult he did. I don't know if this is common for others. It seems the older he got, the more willing he was to new fruits/veggies.

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my guys appetite is finally picking up big time, he goes through about 30 crix a day now and a dish of collards :D

Latest posts