• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My feeder suggestion

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well for those of you that remember my thread where I received a large colony of hisser adults this is a piggy back on it. For those of you who do not remember the post here is the link http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-forum/forum-chat/official-crypticdragons-hisser-thread/.

I am posting this as a suggestion to anyone that keeps multiple bug eaters, especially smaller ones like geckos, young beardies, and adult beardies.

My colony of hissers exploded some time ago. I had actually contemplated shutting them down cause I didn't really like them. But instead I decided to wait until after my hatchlings were born and see how they liked the nymphs. This season I hatched out 38 dragons, all of which are still living in my home as they are not old enough to start leaving yet. I have been fully sustaining all of those hatchlings on my hisser colony and have not even put a dent in the amount of babies in the colony.

Now yes with hissers there are precautions you should take. Madagascar hissing cockroaches are excellent climbers so you have to take multiple precautions to keep them in the tank. I have vaseline around the top 5 inches of their container, a locking lid, and double sided tape on the outside to catch anyone that makes it past the first 2 steps (haven't had any escape yet knock on wood). They will need a large container to be kept in as the males are territorial and will "battle" each other for territory (<<<<<very interesting to watch). The females only give birth every 2 months but they give birth to large numbers, highest count I have had from a female so far was 85 babies in one laying. They give birth in the same fashion that dubia do. The stages of life for hissers are a bit longer than they are with dubia (it takes a good bit longer to reach adulthood), but their life span has been recorded at upwards of 5 years.

I keep dubia as well and I love them but with how prolific the hissers are they have taken top dog in my opinion. For those that have "larger" collections that this "cricket scare" is really affecting, look into starting a colony of hissers. You will not be dissapointed.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow....5 years! That's wild!!

Great little write-up, Brian. *insert thumbs-up emoticon*

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
Wow....5 years! That's wild!!

Great little write-up, Brian. *insert thumbs-up emoticon*

Thanks. I figured with the current status of things in the feeder world, and the extreme strain that dubia breeders are now under, that this information may seem invaluable to some. im sure many folks never thought of using this particular species as a feeder cause of the "creep" factor lmao.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Thanks. I figured with the current status of things in the feeder world, and the extreme strain that dubia breeders are now under, that this information may seem invaluable to some. im sure many folks never thought of using this particular species as a feeder cause of the "creep" factor lmao.

Once I got my wife past the "creep factor" with my first colony of roaches (and I jumped into it with both feet having lobsters), I haven't looked back. I wouldn't think twice about hissers. She's more creeped out with crickets than roaches. My last batch of crickets (a couple years ago) was 2000 adults in a 55 gallon tank. Covered no less than an inch of the entire bottom. She freaked....and that's the instant she gave in to roaches. LOL!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
crypticdragons said:

Once I got my wife past the "creep factor" with my first colony of roaches (and I jumped into it with both feet having lobsters), I haven't looked back. I wouldn't think twice about hissers. She's more creeped out with crickets than roaches. My last batch of crickets (a couple years ago) was 2000 adults in a 55 gallon tank. Covered no less than an inch of the entire bottom. She freaked....and that's the instant she gave in to roaches. LOL!

I just am not a fan of lobsters due to how fast they move. Hissers are slower moving. I can drop a adult on the ground and pick it up without having to rush saying "OH SH!T OH SH!T OH SH!T" lol

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL! No kidding! ;D

I hate lobsters, now, too. When I got my dubia colony up and decided my creep factor with lobsters had hit an all time high, I had to dispose of them.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol... I've got both Dubia and hissers.. The hissers started out as 3 females and 1 male... Now ? lol.. Going to have to upgrade that enclosure rather soon...
My "pet" hisser queen still likes to crawl over my hand, usually has a baby riding on her too...
Just hadda add this...

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My "pet" hisser queen still likes to crawl over my hand, usually has a baby riding on her too...

ewwwwwwwwww. Don't play with the food. lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL..........people amaze me. They don't want roaches invading their homes, but they're willing to play touchy feely with them up close and personal.
As ironic as it may be.......it's still a roach. Same basic parameters there. *shudder* Some things freak even me out.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
LOL..........people amaze me. They don't want roaches invading their homes, but they're willing to play touchy feely them up close and personal.
As ironic as it may be.......it's still a roach. Same basic parameters there. *shudder* Some things freak even me out.

you know you want some hissers

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
only to grind into pudding. Which i serve on Hallows Eve. Wanna come party with me? <cackle>

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
lol... I've got both Dubia and hissers.. The hissers started out as 3 females and 1 male... Now ? lol.. Going to have to upgrade that enclosure rather soon...
Just hadda add this...

I thought you only had the females. I didn't know you started breeding them.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
zebraflavencs said:
Just hadda add this...

One of the young hissers turned out to be male... soooooooooooooo. Upgrading soon to a bin, from the 10 gallon tank.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
crypticdragons said:
zebraflavencs said:
Just hadda add this...

One of the young hissers turned out to be male... soooooooooooooo. Upgrading soon to a bin, from the 10 gallon tank.

you will be impressed with them once they really get going. It is amazing how fast they reproduce.

Latest posts