• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my dragons behavior

kickside

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So I just bought two beardies yesterday and they flare their stomachs out and open their mouths. What does this mean? ???
It scared me because one of them did it when I was holding him.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It means they are trying to scare you. They are in a new placed and very scared, they are doing it as a defense right now. It should go away after they have time to settle in. I would suggest not holding them for a few days. Also I noticed you said you got 2, are they being house together or separate?

kickside

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, I got two:)
They are young and can't tell their genders?
Will they bite me and how long should I wait for them to get comfortable?

Thanks a ton ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most times it is just for show and don't actually bite, don't think I have ever heard of anyone getting bite out of aggression but not saying it can't happen, just not likely. I would give them a few days to a week to settle in.

While it is ok to house them together be careful, even as babies they can still turn on each other and cause harm to each other. There are some that can live together with no problems but I feel it is better to air on the side of caution and not have them together. Some tolerate living together but are happier if they do not have to share their home as they are solitary animals.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, they are most likely going through relocation stress. It can happen when they are in a new environment, whether it be new owners or a new viv or a new room in your house. It can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. It really is different for each dragon.

Your setup is important for them to feel comfy too. The size of your viv, substrate, UV light and temps are key to making them feel good and thrive in captivity. I'll provide a link to our basic caresheet. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions.

I'm also providing a link to our article on housing multiple dragons together. Sandra pointed out the disadvantages to this. I too tend to be cautious and would not risk anything happen. We have seen babies bite the tails off of other babies.

Bearded Dragon Care

Housing Multiple Bearded Dragons

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome to beardie land!!! Congrats on your new editions. It's probably just stressing out because they are in a new place with new people. Let them get used to you, and im sure you will be the best of friends in no time :)