• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardies tail :(

Beardiemon546

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon- KhujoS tail has gotten grey !! It’s lost it’s orange. :(. He has lost his appetite. He’s irritable. He is NOT happy. The tip of the tail is dry. It isn’t dark. But very dry. Now looking back at pictures of him, it seems the grey has been moving closer and closer to the base of his tail…. I’m so worried

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragon- KhujoS tail has gotten grey !! It’s lost it’s orange. :(. He has lost his appetite. He’s irritable. He is NOT happy. The tip of the tail is dry. It isn’t dark. But very dry. Now looking back at pictures of him, it seems the grey has been moving closer and closer to the base of his tail…. I’m so worried
Post a pic? The tip of my beardies tail fell off the other day (dried and fell off….) as long as it isn’t staying wet it should heal up just fine…

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If it loses Circulation or shed gets removed or sometimes it just dies for some reason it’ll end up falling off just make sure you keep it nice and clean that should be all OK

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
please get a pic of it please -- we need to see if its tail rot --- moving up the tail is infection and it needs to be stopped NOW-- please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it ASAP-- thats going to kill the infection but if it has gotten bad enough hes going to need to go into the vet and be put on a antibiotic - NO crickets in the tank please they will go straight for the tail --- here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org if your in a small town insert a big town or city close to you zip code ---
info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.

2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs

How to identify tail rot:

1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.

2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
For more info, please see the link: https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-tail-rot/
T Ask yourself these questions:
Was the tail recently injured?
Was a part of the tail open (eg wound/scrape/cut)
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail.ail Rot

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
Could he just be getting ready to shed? The "moving gray* sounds like shed getting ready to come off.

Beardiemon546

Bearded Dragon Egg
please get a pic of it please -- we need to see if its tail rot --- moving up the tail is infection and it needs to be stopped NOW-- please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it ASAP-- thats going to kill the infection but if it has gotten bad enough hes going to need to go into the vet and be put on a antibiotic - NO crickets in the tank please they will go straight for the tail --- here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org if your in a small town insert a big town or city close to you zip code ---
info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:

2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs

1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.

2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
For more info, please see the link: https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-tail-rot/
Was flesh exposed?
Is the tail constantly dark? or does the darkness ever go away (eg when in the tank, different environments)
If you didn't answer yes to basically all of those questions, it's not tail rot.
Tail rot is extremely rare. It's an infection of the flesh, from a wound or injury to the tail.
Tail rot is really kind of just a fancy name for an infected wound, one of which is affecting the tail.ail Rot
Oh my. Raw honey?? Okay. I am on my lunch break now so I will go to store. No open wound. But had not been eating much at all so could be malnourished a bit I hope it’s not tail rot these were taken not to long ago

Attachments

• DDF30D8E-CDD9-44FD-8D7A-5E2639A52F81.jpeg
    DDF30D8E-CDD9-44FD-8D7A-5E2639A52F81.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 95A85C91-7EF2-4C97-9557-18FE825E563D.jpeg
    95A85C91-7EF2-4C97-9557-18FE825E563D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my. Raw honey?? Okay. I am on my lunch break now so I will go to store. No open wound. But had not been eating much at all so could be malnourished a bit I hope it’s not tail rot these were taken not to long ago
The end looks like it has a bent but I see no black- tail looks like it's going into shed- I don't think it's tail rot- keep an eye on the end it looks like it could fall off- watch for black that would be infection - if it starts w it getting black use the honey it will kill the infection

Beardiemon546

Bearded Dragon Egg
info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:

Was flesh exposed?
I am pretty sure he has mites it just clicked in my head and I was cleaning his tail and there were these black dots all over him and I’m like what are these turn off and my friend had mentioned that he had a snake that might have mitesHe should’ve known better because I’m the newbie here chin it might cause tail rotAnd could he have brought the night with him from his house

Beardiemon546

Bearded Dragon Egg
That was him when I left the house. If I can takeoff work I would and I’m going to call the vet right now

Attachments

• A0E572FA-6A7B-4F2C-A9F7-1200F166D0A3.jpeg
    A0E572FA-6A7B-4F2C-A9F7-1200F166D0A3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

Latest posts