• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie's new home - New 40-gallon breeder

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So I setup my 40-gallon breeder today for my lil guy and he loves it. Just wanna run temperatures and lighting by everyone...

During the day the basking spot is right at about 113*F and he sits about an inch or so below the probe...the cool side of the tank is right at 79 or 80*F all day long.

Right now the basking side is at about 79*f and the cool side is at 75*F.

I have an 8.5" reflector dome with a 100W incandescent house bulb in it for the basking spot and as for right now (until my fixture gets in for my 36" ReptiSun 10.0) I have a 12" ReptiSun 5.0 more towards the cool side of the cage. The fixture should be in tomorrow or the next day and then I will have a 36" ReptiSun 10.0 stretching across the length of the cage.

One quick question. The 10.0s are said to work up 20" from the light and my tank is only 17" high....is this okay with a screen top or do I need to have something he can perch up on a few inches above the surface of the cage to get within say 10-12" from the UVB???

Other than that everything is great and I will have pictures up tomorrow.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would move the UV light closer to the warm side where he spends most of his time. As for the distance from the UV light I am sure if that is too far. I have my dragons on an elevated basking site so they are closer to the UV lights and heat source. Your temps sound good. and your light will be fine sitting on top of the screen top.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would replace the 5.0 and get the Reptisun 10.0. It's not the best one to use for the dragons. I would keep it where he could get to a different range of closeness to the bulb I usually have it where you can get 4-10 inches from it and let them choose what they need

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
I would replace the 5.0 and get the Reptisun 10.0. It's not the best one to use for the dragons. I would keep it where he could get to a different range of closeness to the bulb I usually have it where you can get 4-10 inches from it and let them choose what they need

I already have the 10.0 I'm just waiting on the fixture.

What concerns me is that he has spent most of today on the cool side of the cage with darker colors...this normal??

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you changed anything around in the tank? It could be possible he's stressed a bit or the temps could be a bit low or even the temporary lack of UV. Has he eaten? What are the temps?

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He is eating just fine. And fairly active now, the temps are listed above in my first post.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
some do not like high temps. Piggy will not bask if her temps are over 103.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here are some pictures of the new enclosure...

2010-10-20160911.jpg

2010-10-20170134.jpg

2010-10-20170140.jpg

The only thing that worries me is he often has his black ovals on his stomach....however he is extremely active, always running around, very alert and eating very regularly. What could those mean?

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Not only does he have a cool viv, he has an awesome poster to look at behind him.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very nice setup. The marking could be related to the new viv. I like to have the cool side around 85F. See if you can up your temp on the cool side.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since you basking spot temp is right on, I wouldn't increase that bulb. You could add a household bulb in the center of the viv for heat or add a heat emitter to the cool side to get it up a bit.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe he is more comfortable on the cool side b/c of how it is set up. What if you move the heat to the side he like hanging out on? If he moves to the new cool side then you know he is just being difficult.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Seeing your viv makes me realize the relatively low amount of effort I have put into mine lol.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Since you basking spot temp is right on, I wouldn't increase that bulb. You could add a household bulb in the center of the viv for heat or add a heat emitter to the cool side to get it up a bit.

The daytime temperature of the coolside ranges from 80-82*F I think that is okay for now. He has been super active climbing all over his logs, hammocks, etc. and alternates which side of the tank he is on. I'll see how he does over the weekend and keep you all posted.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll see how he does over the weekend and keep you all posted.

good idea. Remember he's still acclimating. You can safely observe him for a couple of weeks unless you notice something terribly wrong and requiring change immediately.

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He seems just fine even though those dark ovals are there. He is super active, nearly sprinting around his cage and eating just as much as always and just as normal. I think he is okay.

Latest posts