• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardies feet problems

animalparty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! So My bearded dragon Auzzie is almost 2 years old and lately he’s been lifting his toes up off the ground and not placeing any pressure on them so I looked at his feet and his scales look wonky like some are almost out of place and I saw a little bit of brownish black in the crevices of his toes and some of those scales are yellow and I went to check them today and as soon as I barely touched one of the scales he flinched away I think he’s in pain please help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! So My bearded dragon Auzzie is almost 2 years old and lately he’s been lifting his toes up off the ground and not placeing any pressure on them so I looked at his feet and his scales look wonky like some are almost out of place and I saw a little bit of brownish black in the crevices of his toes and some of those scales are yellow and I went to check them today and as soon as I barely touched one of the scales he flinched away I think he’s in pain please help!
Please post a pic of the feet in question - what kind of substrate is he on? And what are his surface basking temps? How are you getting them? What is the basking decor piece your using? If the surface is too hot they will curl their toes up --

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of his feet you could post? Are they swollen to where the scales are stretched
out & or out of place?

Tracie

animalparty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of his feet you could post? Are they swollen to where the scales are stretched
out & or out of place?

Tracie
I will post pictures and thank you for replying ! I’m really worried
Hello,

out & or out of place?

Tracie

IMG_3459.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpeg
Sorry for bad photo quality was trying to take good ones with out accidentally touching them

animalparty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a pic of the feet in question - what kind of substrate is he on? And what are his surface basking temps? How are you getting them? What is the basking decor piece your using? If the surface is too hot they will curl their toes up --
Hi! His basking temp is 95-105 I’m getting these temperatures from a heat gun and he has a basking rock from PetSmart and he is currently on half tile half repti carpet
IMG_3473.jpeg
IMG_3472.jpeg
IMG_3467.jpeg
IMG_3462.jpeg

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

To some extent that looks like older or dry shed, but it is looking like some swelling in the toe areas.
Are any of his wrists or ankles swelling some or puffy as they would be with gout? It's a little hard
to tell on the pictures.
Can he walk & climb normally?
What type/brand of UVB are you using?
Have you tried soaking him daily for a short bath to see if any skin loosens up?

Tracie

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! His basking temp is 95-105 I’m getting these temperatures from a heat gun and he has a basking rock from PetSmart and he is currently on half tile half repti carpet View attachment 35527View attachment 35528View attachment 35529View attachment 35530
The tile being used is a textured but not coarse? Too coarse of tile will cause abrasions but as Tracie said it does look like shed - please get a digital probe thermometer for your surface basking temps - those are the most accurate - some rocks like slate can get too hot for them to sit on and burn them - this is why we always recommend the digital probe -- and heat guns are good but often can be off due to the basking decor material its made from - your UVB is extremely important what brand and bulb are you using?

animalparty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

To some extent that looks like older or dry shed, but it is looking like some swelling in the toe areas.
Are any of his wrists or ankles swelling some or puffy as they would be with gout? It's a little hard
to tell on the pictures.
Can he walk & climb normally?
What type/brand of UVB are you using?
Have you tried soaking him daily for a short bath to see if any skin loosens up?

Tracie
He seems to be walking on his heels almost but runs like normal the tile is very smooth and I use the zoomed uvb 10.0 T5 and I have tryed giving him baths I even gently scrubbed is feet with a toothbrush when he let me until he wouldn’t let me even touch them and I’ve touched his basking rock just to see if it was so hot that it would burn him but it was just warm not hot

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He seems to be walking on his heels almost but runs like normal the tile is very smooth and I use the zoomed uvb 10.0 T5 and I have tryed giving him baths I even gently scrubbed is feet with a toothbrush when he let me until he wouldn’t let me even touch them and I’ve touched his basking rock just to see if it was so hot that it would burn him but it was just warm not hot
Where is your uvb? Inside the tank or top of screen

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
As Sadie mentioned, some tiles may cause some issues like callouses, or abrasions on their feets &
or hands. Have you bathed him to see if that helps out any right now?
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

animalparty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
As Sadie mentioned, some tiles may cause some issues like callouses, or abrasions on their feets &
or hands. Have you bathed him to see if that helps out any right now?
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie
I have bathed him multiple times and have soaked his feet in warm water in hopes that it would help but it’s still the same and his appetite is amazing he’s as hungry as ever

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His uvb is inside his cage
Ok make sure its directly above him approx 12-15 inches -- too many baths are going to dry his scales out - I am wondering if some aloe lotion on the feet would soften them up - plain aloe -- I am going to ask about this from someone who might know --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is some suggestions that I got
I'm not a fan of tile, no animal lives on tile or concrete naturally anywhere in the world. So each person has to make that decision. I don't know that that's the problem, it looks like there's a bit of shed you can put Neosporin on the feet though. You might switch to a softer material for a while, even layers of newspaper temporarily until you can get a zen habitat mat [ not reptile carpet ] or an old bath towel. Or go sand/soil.

animalparty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is some suggestions that I got
I'm not a fan of tile, no animal lives on tile or concrete naturally anywhere in the world. So each person has to make that decision. I don't know that that's the problem, it looks like there's a bit of shed you can put Neosporin on the feet though. You might switch to a softer material for a while, even layers of newspaper temporarily until you can get a zen habitat mat [ not reptile carpet ] or an old bath towel. Or go sand/soil.
Ok thank you! I did have him on loose sand substrate but he kept licking it and had trouble pooping so we took his off of that to what he has now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thank you! I did have him on loose sand substrate but he kept licking it and had trouble pooping so we took his off of that to what he has now
You can also use some textured shelf liner NON adhesive cut to the size of the tank --- then have a couple of pieces of tile in there for keeping the nails down -- the Zen black mats are nice - they are for 4x2x2 tanks

Latest posts