• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beardie won’t chill out?!

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon, Spike, is having a little trouble keeping calm. He’s about 7 months old now, give or take. He keeps running back and forth across his enclosure and glass surfing, this has been happening for about a month. The last couple days he hasn’t been eating much, either, but I’m guessing it’s because I just switched him to dubias and it’s throwing him off a little, but has eaten some. Hasn’t eaten salads in a couple days but otherwise seems healthy. He is only in a 40 gallon take but want to upgrade to a 75 until I can save up for a bigger tank. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm him down in the meantime?! I have tried covering areas with paper towels but he surfs the glass in hope of finding his reflection . I’m ordering a 75 gallon tank today, any suggestions? Preferably with black walls haha. Here’s a pic of his enclosure

Attachments

• C574BC58-1AA9-4AC9-AD32-88A71295251D.jpeg
    C574BC58-1AA9-4AC9-AD32-88A71295251D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragon, Spike, is having a little trouble keeping calm. He’s about 7 months old now, give or take. He keeps running back and forth across his enclosure and glass surfing, this has been happening for about a month. The last couple days he hasn’t been eating much, either, but I’m guessing it’s because I just switched him to dubias and it’s throwing him off a little, but has eaten some. Hasn’t eaten salads in a couple days but otherwise seems healthy. He is only in a 40 gallon take but want to upgrade to a 75 until I can save up for a bigger tank. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm him down in the meantime?! I have tried covering areas with paper towels but he surfs the glass in hope of finding his reflection . I’m ordering a 75 gallon tank today, any suggestions? Preferably with black walls haha. Here’s a pic of his enclosure
Basking temps and UVB have a lot to do w/ their behavior--- I see your probe thermometer is on the side of the tank take it and place it where he sits to bask --- the side is not going to give you a accurate temp 95-100--- the UVB is on the screen --- what wattage or bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8? It can sit on top of the screen if its a T 5 but the screen MUST BE A WIDE HOLE --- if its not the screen is blocking 30 % of those rays -- if its a T 8 it need to go inside the tank or be unblocked by the screen and distance is different between the two bulbs as well --- we need to start there for the glass surfing

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps and UVB have a lot to do w/ their behavior--- I see your probe thermometer is on the side of the tank take it and place it where he sits to bask --- the side is not going to give you a accurate temp 95-100--- the UVB is on the screen --- what wattage or bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8? It can sit on top of the screen if its a T 5 but the screen MUST BE A WIDE HOLE --- if its not the screen is blocking 30 % of those rays -- if its a T 8 it need to go inside the tank or be unblocked by the screen and distance is different between the two bulbs as well --- we need to start there for the glass surfing
The probe is where he sits to bask. He spends most of his time at the corner of the hammock. If you can see the screen is off where he spends most of his time. It is a t5 and the screen holes are not wide so I took the screen off.

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
The probe is where he sits to bask. He spends most of his time at the corner of the hammock. If you can see the screen is off where he spends most of his time. It is a t5 and the screen holes are not wide so I took the screen off.
I would just like some advice on how to keep him calm while I wait for a better tank, the set up I have with his light and UVB is correct and all of the advice I have taken from this site and several different sites and youtube pages.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so the distance should be 12-15 inches- do you get him out of the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I get him out of the tank every day, I try to get his energy out but he still chases his reflection.
Ok use some newspaper or magazine pages to cover the sides or back - does he go back to glass surfing after you have had him out

Latest posts