• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MVB/UVB/Heat lamp

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys kinda confused on the mercury vapour bulbs wats the story with them are they an alternative to the uvb flourescent tubes eg:repti sun? or are they just another source of heat eg: heat lamp.

The bulbs i have at the mo have about 2 months left on them id say and im just wondering can the MVB replace a bulb like the repti sun 10.0?

Thanks guys

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mercury vapor lamps produce both heat and UV light for bearded dragons. So, yes, if you want to go that route, it would replace the ReptiSun 10.0 tube for UV light. I've used them in the past and prefer the florescent tube over the mercury lamp. I had trouble getting a good temps in the viv.

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
O ok thanks for the reply.

Seen as they output both uv and heat where would be the ideal place to put it in the viv? Just where the heat lamp is now as in the where the basking spot is or? And would ya also need other lighting in the viv or is it bright ebough with the mvb?

Sorry dont reli have a clue about mvbs haha

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No worries. I would place it above the basking spot. If the viv is dark, you may want to add a regular household bulb to lighten it up. But make sure your temps are ok. You can get some heat from regular bulbs. A lot of folks use regular household bulbs for basking spot and heat.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think this is a new product. First I've seen. And to be honest... I've had no issues at all with my megas.. Must have missed the bad batches when I ordered.

Hope this helps !

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sure ill give them a shot but wats a safe distance from the MVB i no they say minimun distance has to be "x" amount but in your experience how far should it be from your beardie?

Sorry haha such a noob

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh stop that... as long as you keep asking questions, you won't be a nuub long.

Now, in one enclosure I have the mega 13" away, an other, 16", and the last 14 inches... As long as it is 12" minimum from the basking, and all temps are in order... install awaaaaaaaaaaaay !
Hope that helps ;)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I use a secondary light for brightness..

I actually use in two enclosures, out side fixtures meant for flood lights.. Duel fixtures...

Nope... that's a dome, not what I used, but nothing says you can't.
Hope that helps.

Shoulon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So the fact that these lamps produce no UVA isn't affected on the Beardy if only this light is used?

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I bought the Megaray because Yo was having his problems. I had heard I would see a BIG improvement after I started using them.I have NO doubt that they are good but I really did not see where my Dragons did any better with them then they did with the Reptisun. Temps were harder to control and I had to have extra heat in with them anyway. If I ran the sweeper with them on(something I do every night), they blew the circuit breaker. Every so often I'd see where they would turn themselves off and I'd have to go figure out what had caused the problem. I was always afraid I might bump it and break it before it's time. I had 3 burning at the same time. I think they use more energy than the Reptisun too. They cost more than the Reptisun and still had to be replaced after 6 months. Too much trouble for me. I went back to the Reptisun and everyone is happy and I have a little extra cash in my pocket. :)

Latest posts