• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Must have books for Australian species keepers.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day mates ;D,

I just thought i would impart some knowledge that i have found about books on Australian reptiles in captivity. Normally i would never recommend any books for the "care" of reptiles but i have to make an exception for these two. They are written by leading taxonomist, herpetologist and breeders of australian species here in Australia and are the only two books that i would call a "realistic guide" to Australian reptiles. The contributors (authors) of the books are well respected in their field here in Australia and they are the only two books on the care of Australian species written by actual Australian breeders and herpetologist working/breeding in the field.

I would have to say they are a must have in your collection. I myself will be purchasing them soon enough.

First one is.

Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards
Edited by Mike Swan
"The authors are among the leading Australian herpetoculturists and include Grant Husband and Matt Bonnett (Monitors), Greg Fyfe (Skinks), John McGrath (Geckos), Kieran Aland (Dragons) and Rob Porter (Flap-footed Lizards).
Photographs are by well known Australian wildlife photographers and include Steve Wilson, Michael Cermak and Damian Goodall. Some images are appearing in print for the first time.
There are also sections on colour patterns and mutations, Diseases and Disorders of Australian Lizards by Dr. Franciscus Scheelings and Breeding Live Insect Food for Australian Lizards by Rob Porter."

The Second.

Keeping and breeding Australian Pythons.
Edited by Mike Swan
"One of the most comprehensive books ever published on Australian Python Husbandry

Authors include Kieran Aland, Brian Barnett, Meyndert Bornman, Rob Browne-Cooper, Greg Fyfe, Glen Gaikhorst, Russel Grant, Chris Hay, Geoff Heard, Adrian Hemens, Peter Krauss, Dr. David Pearson, Dr.Franciscus Scheelings, Neil Sonnemann, Brad Walker and John Weigel
PB 350 pages. For the first time a book covering all Australian python species written by leading Australian breeders.
Covers housing, sexing, breeding, egg incubation and raising young snakes.
Contains graphs, charts and many coloured photographs.
Sections on diseases and disorders and colour and pattern mutations of Australian pythons
Also includes information on natural habitats and behaviours."

Cheers,

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*heads into Gina's library...* I know she's got em here sooooomewhere !...
Janie ;)

Latest posts