• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mucus and Red Spots in Stool

royalsalami

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, first timer here
4600D31B-9256-46E0-8AF5-81E6D4F8A89C.jpeg

My bearded dragon is about 10 months old and her poops have been getting increasingly worrying. This is her latest it was incredibly sloppy, there’s red spots in the urate and a chunk of mucus, I’m thinking it’s parasites as for most of her life she’s been absolutely ravenous, will keep eating no matter what, I assumed this was because she was growing and just had an intense love for food, but now I’m thinking it may be something more ominous.
I’m most likely going to take her to a vet but I just wanted to get feedback from more experienced beardie owners.

Thanks

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn’t look like blood to me, but ill admit its very weird looking, can u possibly take a tweezers or a tooth pick and try and get one of the red dots separated to see if it pops red or smears a different color, before u take him to the vet try to have a fresh stool sample for them, sorry i cant be of more help, the poo has great form , but the rest of it looks odd...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, first timer hereView attachment 25808

My bearded dragon is about 10 months old and her poops have been getting increasingly worrying. This is her latest it was incredibly sloppy, there’s red spots in the urate and a chunk of mucus, I’m thinking it’s parasites as for most of her life she’s been absolutely ravenous, will keep eating no matter what, I assumed this was because she was growing and just had an intense love for food, but now I’m thinking it may be something more ominous.
I’m most likely going to take her to a vet but I just wanted to get feedback from more experienced beardie owners.

Thanks
Is this the first time? Are you feeding anything red peppers strawberry? Too many parasites will cause less eating-- what are you using for a UVB? Supplements?

royalsalami

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s not the first time, I think the red spots in this instance may be the strawberry she had but even without anything red in her diet the outside of her urate has been a pinkish red for about 2 weeks now.
She has a 150 watt UVB bulb and has her crickets dusted with calcium dust almost every day.
When she was younger for a period of about 8 months, I was unknowingly dusting her feeders with expired calcium and vitamin dust. Because there’s so much in a tub I assumed it had a super long expiration date and never checked
I am taking her to a vet on Wednesday just to make sure.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
u might want dustings to be 3 times a week and make shure its a light dusting , the only things i can find about pink urate are parasites, dehydration, to much calcium, is the urate soft? If its hard/chalky he’s dehydrated how does ur guy get his water?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s not the first time, I think the red spots in this instance may be the strawberry she had but even without anything red in her diet the outside of her urate has been a pinkish red for about 2 weeks now.
She has a 150 watt UVB bulb and has her crickets dusted with calcium dust almost every day.
When she was younger for a period of about 8 months, I was unknowingly dusting her feeders with expired calcium and vitamin dust. Because there’s so much in a tub I assumed it had a super long expiration date and never checked
I am taking her to a vet on Wednesday just to make sure.
DO NOT let them do an enema!! Between now and then get a stool sample put it in a zip loc bag and put it in the fridge or if you can get one right before vet time or drop it off before your appt ---- BUT NO ENEMAS!!

royalsalami

Bearded Dragon Egg
u might want dustings to be 3 times a week and make shure its a light dusting , the only things i can find about pink urate are parasites, dehydration, to much calcium, is the urate soft? If its hard/chalky he’s dehydrated how does ur guy get his water?
The urates are soft, I make sure to wet their greens before feeding them and I mist her sometimes, but usually the water in the greens is enough.
Aaa I didn’t even think of too much calcium though, she’s going to the vet tomorrow so I’ll get an answer soon.

royalsalami

Bearded Dragon Egg
DO NOT let them do an enema!! Between now and then get a stool sample put it in a zip loc bag and put it in the fridge or if you can get one right before vet time or drop it off before your appt ---- BUT NO ENEMAS!!
Thanks for the heads up! Getting a faecal done tomorrow and I’ll make sure to keep that in mind.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Don’t know if this is helpful but I remember this happened to my old girl a couple of times but it did go away. I remember it was after I would give her butter worms. And I assumed it was from them. Hope the vet visit goes well and that my comment helped to put you at ease :)