• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mouth Rot????!!!!!

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all!

One of my bearded dragons, Liz has this weird black spot on her tooth and gum. I noticed it yesterday. I'm not sure how long it has been there or when it started. I gave her some organic apple sauce with bee pollen, spirulina and calcium mixed in with a syringe. I gave her a little bit more than a teaspoon. What do you all recommend? What should I feed her? And what is it? Could it be a bad tooth, cavity? Or mouth rot?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1483 (4).JPG
    IMG_1483 (4).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 436

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all!

One of my bearded dragons, Liz has this weird black spot on her tooth and gum. I noticed it yesterday. I'm not sure how long it has been there or when it started. I gave her some organic apple sauce with bee pollen, spirulina and calcium mixed in with a syringe. I gave her a little bit more than a teaspoon. What do you all recommend? What should I feed her? And what is it? Could it be a bad tooth, cavity? Or mouth rot?

Thank you!
Keep an eye on it could it be a bug part?

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't think so, it looks like it is in her tooth and gum. And she hasn't had bugs recently, i gave her some roaches a week and half ago.
ummm, let me think her jaw has been tough to get open, so no lack of calcium, i have just been running everything through my head and i can't find anything. Do you have any idea what it might be? Btw i don't think she had yellow gums before, i have been trying to remember that:confused:
Thanks

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Here is my set-up 100 basking, cool side around 75, turn lights off at night, I got her in December of 2012, 40 gal tank, and has UVB
Thank you for your fast response!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
things sound fine set up wise.. it's not uncommon to have a yellowish mouth my male does, their teeth do get dirty they are not individual teeth it's more like a "sheet" of teeth points...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wonder if she just has dirt in her mouth. I know mine get black spots on their teeth which is just food particles. Mouth rot is going to be a buildup of calcium/tartar on the gumline. It's going to be chunky and hard. If you can get your hands on some Chlorhexidine, dilute it with water until it is a sky blue color and take a q-tip and run it over her gums to clean it. Chlorhexidine is a great antiseptic for the mouth. If you really do suspect it's mouth rot, you need to get to a vet for more treatment. They will recommend what I just did but they will also give an antibiotic to clear up any infection. Mouth rot is very serious so it's not something to take lightly.

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
She may have some periodontal disease. Beardie dental health is just as important as our dental health, and our furry pets dental health.
My vet suggested I brush my beardies teeth every so often. I use dentahex on a qtip, and just brush puffs teeth twice a month. (Which my vet recommended )
d6651ba6e3c0c87f4444827ee6ea1e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdey

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for all the wonderful responses! I just looked at it a few minutes ago and now it is on the inside of her gum! And could you use warm salt water and a Q-tip to brush their teeth? Maybe it is a food particle, who knows? Thanks for the tip about brushing their teeth, I'll start doing that:bd:

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know about the salt water because if they swallow any salt it might be a problem. You could just use warm water on a q-tip until you get something else.

Latest posts