• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MBD Rescue Dragon Basking Question

Ruby Sue

Bearded Dragon Egg
Anyone know much about MBD? In particular, we have a rescue dragon that's supposedly 5 months old. She's the sweetest beardie you could imagine. Here's what we know, and then I'll ask my question.

1. She was kept in a 10 gallon tank with a male who nipped her tail.
2. Never had a basking lamp or UVB...only an infrared and I'm not even sure if it was used regularly
3. Never had live food. Not once. She was fed dried crickets/worms
4. She weighs only 71 grams
5. She definitely has MBD
6. I have her basking lamp/temps just right and her UVB set up great now (we've had her under a week)
7. She's a GREAT eater
8. She can barely walk. It's bad. So, onto my question...

Should I place her up under the basking light and take her down every few hours? She won't really move on her own and I hate to "cook" her. So I just need to know how to help her bask. Also, and this is important: Why is she sleeping so much?? Almost round the clock.

Attachments

• juno basking.jpg
    juno basking.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Anyone know much about MBD? In particular, we have a rescue dragon that's supposedly 5 months old. She's the sweetest beardie you could imagine. Here's what we know, and then I'll ask my question.

1. She was kept in a 10 gallon tank with a male who nipped her tail.
2. Never had a basking lamp or UVB...only an infrared and I'm not even sure if it was used regularly
3. Never had live food. Not once. She was fed dried crickets/worms
4. She weighs only 71 grams
5. She definitely has MBD
6. I have her basking lamp/temps just right and her UVB set up great now (we've had her under a week)
7. She's a GREAT eater
8. She can barely walk. It's bad. So, onto my question...

Should I place her up under the basking light and take her down every few hours? She won't really move on her own and I hate to "cook" her. So I just need to know how to help her bask. Also, and this is important: Why is she sleeping so much?? Almost round the clock.
What are you using for a UVB --- or are you using a MVB -- if so what brand ? If she is this young and is developing MBD we can stop it --- make sure your getting good basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer and for a 5 month old have the temps around 95-100--- you can get a lower basking decor piece something w/ a slant something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...avy-cave-reptile-decor-55904.html?cgid=500116 something like shelf type decor piece so she can move easier than climb
she is weak if she is not moving --- food and keeping her hydrated w/ good basking temps and UVB is going to build her strength back up so she can move -- what are you feeding her ? she needs salads and insects dusted w/ the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding if feeding more than once a day -- she needs that UVB to be able to absorb / synthesize the calcium shed ingesting -- you can set that tank up like a hospital tank w/ the basking and UVB placed in the center of the tank so there is no obstruction for the bulbs -- if your using a MVB I recommend you get another UVB long tube fixture most MVB's do not emit enough UVB and in her case she needs all the UVB she can get at this time --- please ask for more help if you need it

Latest posts