• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

toriandtiny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there Beardie lovers,

I'm a brand new Bearded Dragon owner of a little over 48 hours. I work at a fairly new PetSmart, and since we've opened I've kept telling myself I wouldn't take any of our animals there home because while we take phenomenal care of them at the store, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of their source. With that being said, I noticed one of our beardies was walking in a silly little waddle, he was laying down on his front legs with his palms turned outward behind him (as pictured), and he never climbed up the curvy stick things we have for them to get up close to the basking bulb. I can't figure out if his problem is that he's partially lame in his front legs or if he has MBD.
So far, our beardies have been healthy, just a closed eye or two that was saved with some neopolydex cream and a few that took some convincing to eat, but none like this guy. I named him Tiny Tim and as I'm sure most people can relate, once you name them they're yours. So I adopted him and set him up a 20L (he's still quite small, his SVL isn't even as long as my hand) and got a basking platform with stairs he can climb with ease and set up a linear 5.0 UVB and a 75 watt heat lamp. I'm dusting all of his mealworms and crickets in Repta-cal and even sprinkle it on his collard greens, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash.
Overall, does anyone have any idea on what may be wrong with my little guy? I'm hoping that since he's so young, MBD wouldn't develop that quickly and it seems strange that they've all been fine till now. If he does have it though, any tips on how to cure it? If you think he could be partially lame, what could I do to make his life as easy as possible? Anything at all is appreciated and thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 7.33.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 7.33.59 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hmmm, it's hard to say from this picture since all of my beardies lay like this at one point or another. It's possible that he was being bullied by the other ones and that's why he wasn't climbing the stick to get to the light. Give him a bit of time on his own and see how he does and then have the vet look him over.

I wouldn't feed him mealworms because the shell is too hard stick with crickets and maybe some BSFL for now. BSFL are high in calcium. Dubia are real good too if you can get some.

Latest posts