• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Materials you don't have to seal

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
What are some materials you've used to create furniture that doesn't require sealing? I'm thinking bamboo, but I bet bamboo flooring would be sealed already.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bamboo Flooring? Really don't think that would work all that well, as far as cleaning & feeders hiding ...

I use stackable vinyl desk organizers upside down for hides in some of my enclosures with Oak cutting boards Hot Glued to the bottoms as feeding platforms. Both purchased at the 'Dollar Store'.
SandSubstrate011.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
I really like the sand you use for a substrate. It looks natural. Spike is only about 5 months and he is a puny little thing. He 'might' be about 8". Should I wait until he is an adult before using sand? Right now I have slate tile. His enclosure is very simple. He never
uses his 1/2 log house and rarely goes on the cool side....I find that strange. He loves loves his basking spot. He usually there most of the day. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drum!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't recommend using Strained Children's Washed Play Sand for BDs under 10" in length to be on the safer side, although you would be pretty safe if it is finely strained & all the bigger small pebbles removed. Your tile looks very nice & is quite functional, but if you continue to use it, you may want to consider grouting it in permanently. I don't recommend this, but I know quite a number of breeders that use fine strained sand right from shortly after hatching. A word of warning, using sand substrate can be quite 'Dusty'.

When your temps are setup properly, that is the way he should behave & spend the majority of it's time Basking. Hides are only provided as a 'Just In Case' option, should he feel the need to get away from the light & UVB, or just want a more secure place to relax in, destress &\or cool down in a 'shaded' area. The same is true of the Cool side, it is provided to give him a choice to regulate his temps, again, if things are set up properly, he will spend the majority of his time, as he is doing. Many BDs will never need the use of the 'Hide'. Your concerns about the lack of use, are unfounded. His behavior is quite normal & shows that he is comfy in his environment & has no need to hide.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Thanks Germ. I have found out that Spike pretty much knows what he needs. If he needs to cool down he will usually go under the log or in the corner under the hammock. He puts himself to bed between 630 - 7. If he wants to eat he will eat. He didn't eat today but pigged out yesterday so that means tomorrow he will be very hungry. He is a strange little guy but very interesting to learn about. I constantly monitor the temperature and hovers around 105 basking....cool side 75 (farenheit :rolleyes: don't know celcius....:confused:). All in all I think he is doing pretty well.

Kodieh

Hatchling Dragon
Well, I want to use the most I can of a the 55 gallon I plan on setting up. So I was going to try to build something with shelves and a ramp up, but I didn't want to use grout and styrofoam.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone :)

Latest posts