• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Marley

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have had Marley for a little over a month now, and he/she doesnt appear to be growing. He eats well, seems healthy, but is so small. I went to the store I got him from and the others he was housed with are so much larger than he/she is? He has had one shed. At what point shoud I be concerned?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Debbe.

Just a few questions.

1. Age of Marley? (and length) ?
2. Temps?
3. What type of lighting do you use?
4. Size of tank?
5. How much of what does Marley eat?
6. Is Marley pooping okay?

These are all the questions I can think of, that could contribute to the lack of growth. Hope I/we can help you out.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Marley is about 12 weeks old. His tank size is a 10L. The temp in the tank is around 94 degrees in basking spot. Mostly likes crickets, eats 4-5 a day, just started eating greens, and bearded dragon "food". Does not eat much. Poops once a day. Its a healthy poop. It is solid. He is about 3 inches long snout to vent.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Debbe...

A 10 gallon is a tough tank to get temps correct. It is too small to get the ambient along with the cool end and the hot end proper.

In the basking spot it should be 105-110*. 94* is way too cool for a baby beardie. I would highly suggest getting him into a larger tank. Even a 20 is better, although I wouldn't buy one. If you don't have one on hand and you have to buy, then go with the 40 gallon breeder. This way you don't have to buy two.

What uvb and the % are you using for him?
What is the substrate?
Have you soaked him?

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use repticarpet. I do have a 20L on hand. I do mist him so he does not dehydrate..I use a 5.0 UVB.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Switch to the 20 gallon, Cool end around 80* 105* basking. What do you use to measure temps.
Misting only works if he licks the water. They dont absorb it through scales. Soaking is a great way to keep him hydrated.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As Lisa (li) said, up the temps and a bigger tank would be better.

At Marley's age, he should be eating a lot more than that. They can eat anywhere from 25-100 crickets a day. By increasing the temps, Marley's body will reach the right temperature, and his food intake will increase.

I would also suggest getting a higher uvb output bulb. Beardies require a higher amount of uvb. Many will suggest the Repti-Sun 10.0.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I changed Marleys enclosure to a 20L, we had two unused here at the house. I went and purchased a 10.0. Those light are not inexpensive, thankfully they last forever. I don't know why I thought he needed a baby light. I also gave him (I say him, I don't know his sex yet), his first soak. He LOVED it. Mike was saying before I did it, oh poor Marley........Marley was like, hey I want a pool in my enclosure please..;-)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That's good to hear!

Yeah, those lights are kind of expensive. Good thing they only have to get replaced every 6-9 ish months.

Did you manage to get the temps up? What do you measure the temps with?

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It is a digital thermometer. One side is attached to the outside of the tank and the other (probelike side) to the inside.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great...you should see some improvement once he is in the 20. Temps should be better.

Just so you are aware...the uvbs are only good for 6 months unfortunatey. You can get them pretty cheaply though online. I used to pay 30 for 2. That is almost 1/2 price from the store. You did the the repti SUN 10.0 no the repti GLO, right?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Perfect!!!

Once you get it all set with new tank and new uvb...get the temps correct. 80*ish for cool end....105*ish for basking spot. You should start to see an improvement overall.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't forget, all beardie grow at different, rates. Now that you have all set up properly, weigh him. You can use a regular household kitchen scale. I would weigh him weekly. At this point if he is eating properly you should see a weight increase weekly, even if it is a minimum one.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he still appears not interested , I would go for that visit... take if available, a fresh poop sample. This way the clinic can test for parasites, but don't panic if a high coccidia level comes back... This is typical for dragons acclimating to a new environment.
Good luck !

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Debbe said:
I went and purchased a 10.0. Those light are not inexpensive, thankfully they last forever.

Well they don't last forever.. it's recommended to replace them every 6 months.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You said back in the original post that he was eating fine...is that still the case?

Latest posts