• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Malnourished/parasites?

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
So I accidently posted a health issue thread on the diet section, but I thought I should correct my thread and update. I've had Ganon for about 3 months and he has never ate well. I initially thought it was parasites and I still do. However, I took him to the vet today and the vet's main concern was that he was dehydrated and because he wasn't eating he wasn't getting enough calcium supplementation. He also mentioned something to do with lack of vitamin A, but I can't recall since I was so focused on trying to remember every single thing he said I forgot some parts. I usually mist him 3X a week and soak every other week. For now the vet told me to soak him in chicken flavored pedialyte today, and Friday. He also gave me some supplements that I'm supposed to syringe feed him, which I found out was a little more complicated than what it seems. Ganon kept squirming around, but I gave him 2 CCs of 3 parts omnivore, 1 part carnivore as stated in the chart he gave me. He also told me that he would like to inject him with calcium since he wants to prevent MBD. He took a look at his jaw bones and all his legs and said they were very soft :(
I might do that next week. For now I'm just going to have to force feed him and get him hydrated. Other than his poor physical state, you'd never know he was sick. He's a little fighter :D

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
supplements
IMG_0499.JPG

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: I lost my beautiful baby 'Dynasty'[avatar] to MBD; Which she had very well before i got her. Not saying your's has it but a little advise; if you don't mind. What kind of light does 'Gannon' have=uvb; tube or coil, and everything thing he eats dose it with calcium as he needs it very much-Don't let anything go into his mouth without calcium and the shots would be a great idea as MBD can't be cured but it can be controlled if caught early enough.My baby went downhill very quickly once she started to go and she was never a good eater from the time i got her. She only ate 3-5-crix; at a time and then sometimes a lot less. She always seemed dehydrated as well.It is a very bad disease that gets out of control so fast; I only wish you the best of luck with 'Gannon' and might i suggest some phoenix worms as they do have some calcium in them but still dust them anyway and most like it so he should eat it.I was given the carnifore care a long with calcium shots and the care forumula is great but unfortuntly [sp] my baby passed within 10-minutes of coming home from the vets. Your lighting is very important that is why i asked what type-river-7-Bella-Ps; My girl was a little fighter as well till she could not fight anymore.And you would never know she was sick until the last of it=calcium shots are the most important thing for him.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Reptisun 10.0.
The vet actually advised me to add the calcium in all the insects' gutload. According to him the amount of calcium that actually stays on an insect when sprinkled is very minimal. He also suggested that I take him out 30 mins every day. The only problem I have with going outside is that whenever I do take him he freaks out. I live in one of the areas home to many different species of birds that are always flying around so he's constantly watching out for birds.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's funny because i have birds and my canary is right beside one of my dragons and it don't bother her, lol She seems to completely ignore the bird.i know they have a fear of birds but my baby doe's not bother with the little canary.Just an occasional wave or two. river-7

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Haha that's pretty cool. I'm guessing your dragon is already used to the canary, but I bet if he saw the bird flying over his head his natural instincts would kick in immediately. Sometimes when I let Ganon out the first thing he does is look up at the ceiling fan above him. I'm guessing he's just making sure it's not anything he should be afraid of.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
His poop is very crazy runny now that I'm force feeding him that stuff. I offered him some small dubia he ate like 3. I guess I still have to keep force feeding him and hydrating him

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Make sure he is kept hydrated.and great he ate the dubia that is a plus, hopefully he will eat some more and start to feel better. good Luck and keep us updated on your baby-Yes, i would keep giving him his carnivore care until your vet say's other wise and he's eating more 'Dubia'. And as far as outside goes, Do you have some kind of board you can rig up overhead so he can't see the birds when he first goe's out?? and then take it down so he gets the sun?? that would be a little help for 'Gannon doe's he take in a lot of water when you bath him?? Hope so as that is good for him to stay hydrated and probably making his poops a little watery, just proving he is hydrated.Yes, the gutloading the dubia and crix; will help as far as calcium goe's-I was doing that as well. The crix; usually shake it off too quickly for the beardie to get too much.I agree with your vet and wishing you and 'Gannon' the best of luck in recouping-Bella-aka-river-7-And please keep us updated on your little 'Gannon'

Latest posts