• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kimzard

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, long story, but I went away for school for a few years, and left my lovely boy in the care of someone I didnt really know, but wanted one for their kids. When I came back they contacted me and asked if I wanted him back, and since I did love him I said yes. They said he didnt really get along with their kids, so it was no question.

My problem!! I gave them all the instructions on how to care for him and what I fed him, but when I got him back, hes so thin now! She told me that he hasnt gone to the bathroom for a few weeks, and the b*tch said she hasnt fed him much, just a few kale and spinach leaves, usually only once or twice a week. And spinach?? wtf? and no worms cause her daughter was scared of them. Naturally I exploded on her, my poor boy, id have rather taken him to the shelter.

Point is, I need to know some emergency weight gain, how to get him to go to the washroom, (he usually only liked to go in the bath the cutie) and if I should change the tank heat.
I heard I can give him some calcium powder in baby food, but im not sure. He used to like egg, but wont touch it now. He only ate 1 of the 3 horn worms I gave him.
His eyes look fine, and he can still walk (not for long Im assuming cause he has no energy) but Im at a loss for what else to do for my poor son.

And to pull at my heart strings even more, when I saw him first, he started to walk towards me, and i put him on my shoulder where he always was, and sat there and fell asleep. Im going to cry :((((

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry this happened. I don't understand how people treat animals like this. He probably hasn't gone to the bathroom because he hasn't had much to eat. Go slow with giving him protein since he hasn't really had it for awhile. Digesting protein is taxing on their system so you want to slowly add it back into the diet. Don't do baby food, make some fresh healthy slurries with greens and calcium, probiotics, multivitamin, bee pollen. Get him eating that for a few days and and then introduce a few bugs, BSFL are good, dubia roaches, hornworms are good for hydration, silkworms are very good feeders.

Get a new UVB light, I'm sure she never changed it, since she never bothered to feed it anything. Get a temp gun and make sure the basking temps are in the 100 range. Go slow with him and you will get him back to a good weight.

It's amazing how they can go through so much but still capable of forgiving. I rescued a girl a few years ago and she was in a horrible tank and thin and smelly it was so sad. The minute I picked her up she just melted into my shoulder. Like she knew, she was safe.

Kimzard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your reply! I'll use an eye dropper to give him some blended kale and calcium for a few days until he wants to eat more bugs. Ill try the bee pollen if I can find any. Seems one of his heat lamps, (the one that doesnt give off light but just heat) has been dead cold. Probably for awhile. Getting him a new one today. I gave him a nice warm bath and he must have drank a gallon of water poor boy was so thirsty.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try doing a different green with the calcium. Kale binds to calcium so the body won’t absorb it.

Latest posts