• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male vs female?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Generally speaking, males are more docile. Keep in mind, however, each beardie will develop his, or her, own personality. To me, both are great. Also, it is very rare to be able to detect the gender of these beautiful creatures properly as infants. Basically, if you're getting a baby, chances are you won't know what sex your dragon will be. Hope this helps. :)

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
boys are affectionate when they want a cuddle but girls always seem willing to allow you to shower them with affection but that's just my opinion :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
My little scaly boy is not very affectionate, but he's (she's?) pretty much always happy to see me when I come over and strike up a conversation. ;) So Reggie is either a no touchie-feelie male or a slightly affectionate female. Reginald or Regina? Who knows? :cool:

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
My female is more willing to let me handle her, but she's also a stuck up snob. The male is still not comfortable being held for long periods, but he loves when I talk to him.

Silkmoth

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you for the great replies. I have ordered my baby and hopefully it will get here safely.I live in ME and its coming from FL. Its coming by fedex. I will have the tank set up and warm when it comes. It is supposed to be a hatchling. What size crickets should I buy? Small, extra small? I also want to get roaches for it.
I hate crickets. They killed one of my mantids after she molted. She had fallen and the one that got her was one I missed. She had been a special girl.
Any advise would be most appreciated right now! I have the bulbs and hide. I am buying a 20 long tank today.It is $45.00. I need something for a basking spot. Is wood ok or is it a fire hazard? I have some nice stones. They need a wash and a baking in the oven. Thanks everyone!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: i personally put in both wood and a nice stone to help with their nails. i have 2-babies that use the wood as a basking and 1-monkey that uses the stone as a basking place. Bella-aka-river

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Small crickets should be good. Pinhead crickets will be too small. Just make sure they aren't wider than the space between your dragon's eyes. My dragon eats small crickets, about 8-12 a day. Mileage will vary, though, as each dragon is different.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
They shouldn't be shipping you a hatchling. It should be at least 3-4 weeks old and able to eat 1/4" crickets.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
They shouldn't be shipping you a hatchling. It should be at least 3-4 weeks old and able to eat 1/4" crickets.

I didn't even think about terms like that. I guess I should be a little more wary when I offer advice!

On a side note, I'm confident in saying for a baby you won't need a hide. It will just stress them out come feeding time. If I do get a hide it will be when my spikey boy is at least 10 months, as a place to chill if it suits his personality. But if he doesn't use it I'll remove it.

Best advice with stuff like that is to keep it simple. Get the right tools with lighting/heat, but in my dragons tank I just have driftwood for basking, a water dish, and paper towels as substrate. Reggie is a bit of a diva but he's comfortable with those humble furnishings! :cool:

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
On a side note, I'm confident in saying for a baby you won't need a hide. It will just stress them out come feeding time. If I do get a hide it will be when my spikey boy is at least 10 months, as a place to chill if it suits his personality. But if he doesn't use it I'll remove it.

Best advice with stuff like that is to keep it simple. Get the right tools with lighting/heat, but in my dragons tank I just have driftwood for basking, a water dish, and paper towels as substrate. Reggie is a bit of a diva but he's comfortable with those humble furnishings! :cool:
Most definitely good advice!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Well thank you! :cool: On another side note, the water dish is for veggies. No actual water is in it. I just spray him down a few times a day and he laps that up. Doesn't do anything crazy to the humidity - living in San Antonio has its advantages! :D

Latest posts