• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male vs female size

knowzbleed

Bearded Dragon Egg
my 2 beardies are the same age but my female is much larger than my male. is this normal? we have them housed together, been this way for 4+ months and they have dominance worked out. we also feed them separately. my female is atleast twice as thick as the male and looks stuffed all the time whereas my male never looks nearly as stuffed as her even after feeding.

knowzbleed

Bearded Dragon Egg
here is a picture for comparison. i know females are bigger but im not sure if they are usually so much thicker. he eats less than she does but we feed him separately because she likes to bully him out of food sometimes. guess im just wondering if he looks healthy enough. we got them from petco the day after they shipped in and they were the same size. almost 5 months down the road now and she is quite larger than him.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419379176283.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419379176283.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 427

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would be careful housing them together, he is going to get to a point where he is going to want to mate with her. I keep mine in separate tanks and I used to bring them out for play time. My boy would run and explore and my girl would stay in one place. One day at about 10 months old he decided that he wanted her and he head bobbed at her and charged her, I was able to stop him before he actually got to her. Ever since then I make sure he can't see her when they are out of their tanks.

I do believe that the female is going to be larger than the male. I would think she needs more fat stores to produce and lay eggs. She can lay eggs even if they don't mate. Dexter, my female, is a year older than my male Luci and he is the same length as her but his body is a lot smaller than hers was at his age.

knowzbleed

Bearded Dragon Egg
thanx for the input patsy, i plan on getting them separate enclosures after we get a rack for the snakes. im just worried they will miss each other since they have been together all their lives :/ u are my bff here :D i know its super crazy but before my wife named her beardie castiel she wanted to name it dexter because we were binge watching the dexter series lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
thanx for the input patsy, i plan on getting them separate enclosures after we get a rack for the snakes. im just worried they will miss each other since they have been together all their lives :/ u are my bff here :D i know its super crazy but before my wife named her beardie castiel she wanted to name it dexter because we were binge watching the dexter series lol.

They will be fine separated. When we named Dexter, the show had just ended. I bought her for my boyfriend and his grandfather's name was Dexter. It just fit her. Even when we realized she was a girl we couldn't change the name!

I feel like I've come to know so many people here. I find myself out in the real world telling stories about everyone's beardies as if I know you all personally :)

Latest posts