• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ludo - trying to Brumate?

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all,

As some of you are aware I'm very new at BD ownership. All was going well until December, he was eating well pooping well and very active.

He is around 9 months old now weighs 209 grams and is 15"+ long

He has pretty much stopped eating hence no poop. In January I bathed him to release anything in his belly. Since then he has only picked at greens and had a few hoppers. Around 2 weeks ago because I could see him digging constantly still I put his hide in and he stayed pretty much for that period for 10 days. A few days ago he came out and basked and I have been making a point of making sure he has over the last couple if days. He has still only eaten one locust and picked at greens.

I'm told by my shop this is a normal occurrence through winter and once our days start getting longer he'll become more active. He has not lost any weight but I'm concerned for him very much.

I'm sorry to ramble but just wanted so e advice in what to do, just let him be a f weigh him to check weekly. I've seen its rare for a juvenile to Brumate so that's the worry of I let it happen too long he'll not wake up.

Temps are all correct and he is on a 12-12 cycle.

Any help or reassurance would be most grateful.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362049082.340481.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
Beardies will go into brumation younger than a year although it is unusual. If he stays in one spot and sleeps with the lights on....after a couple of days turn off the lights and let him sleep. I know it is hard to do as I am in the throes of brumation right now. Spike has been sleeping since the end of October. I woke him up for about 10 days but he decided he didn't want to be awake....so he crawled up into his hammock and went back to sleep and that's where he is now. They lose very little weight and will rarely move around. It is natural for them to do this, however not all beardies go into brumation. Hope this helps ease your worries at least a little bit. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks pat!

I'm off work tomorrow so can keep an eye on him all day pretty much. I may put his hide in and see what he decides to do. So UVB off and leave heat on?
I can then switch to CHE as to not disturb. Being march over here nearly in sure the outside temps will increase.

How long would you suggest I leave him for?

Many thanks.

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Right so after waking up this morning he had a little potter about his viv, didn't climb up in his log and has been trying to dig in the corner of the viv (cool end) I've held him for a few minutes and tried feeding a little greens but he just licked at it.

I've put him back in his viv at the other end so if he crawls to his hide I'll leave him to it - very worrying if I'm honest even if its natural, just want to do the right thing.

Being march now and approaching spring how long do members suggest I leave him for? Shall I keep temps the same or at constant night time temps?if he's been lethargic for weeks and I've hindered his brumation will it affect his long term health?

Shall I switch UV off? I know he's in his hide so itd be dark in there.

Many thanks, all a learning process for me!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362138235.716224.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
If it were me....and we all do things differently. I would leave him alone for a couple of days and see what he does. Continue with the lights and UVB and continue to offer him food. If he stays put and sleeps then I would shut down everything and let him be. If he is hungry he will eat. To me....your beardie knows what he needs. These little boogers can worry us to no end and we all want to do the right thing. This is what I would do. You may not be comfortable with that. How old is your little guy? :cool:

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
He's between 9-10 months old which is the worry. He's basically point blank refusing to eat. I have offered food everyday and live food but he's basically not interested. He's burrowed right into his hide now down the cool end so will leave him to it.
If he brumates for as long as your spike it'll be July by the time he's back to normal.

Thanks for your advice!

Pat B

Super Moderator
He is young to brumate but it happens. I would just let him be and see what happens. Little boogers can cause so much dang worry....just like a child!! :rolleyes:

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
So he's crawled into his hide and been sleeping. I've noticed this morning though that he's turned round, head poking out and he's eyes are wide open. He's been laying like that for an hour now!
Wish he'd make his mind up!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike will open open his eyes every now and then but still sleeping and hasn't moved. Such a little booger! Keep you beardies lghts on for today and offer him food. If he doesn't move or eat today.... I would shut everything down and let him sleep.... Thats what I would do.... Good luck!!

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Was fast asleep again when getting in from the shops. I've put some locusts in and we'll see.

When Ieave his UVB lights should I leave heat as per daytime temps?
He's currently in his hide down the cool end I think as it was so bright this morning and warmer he may of considered not to shut down after all.

Pat B

Super Moderator
If your ambient room temperature is too cold then I would use heat only. Spike's room gets no cooler than 63 degrees so I don't use anything.

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Bit nervous today as I'm out all day with work and no one is in the house today.
He's still in his hide, it's typical really as the weather is warning up over here. We've had bright sunshine so thought that might of made him decide not to sleep after all.

I've left the UV off today which in itself makes me nervous as over the last 8 weeks he's rarely basked and off course not eaten enough to take calcium on board, don't want to risk MBD.

Thanks for your advice Pat, much appreciated.

Now just to play the waiting game I suppose!

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
He's wandered out from his hide on the cool side today and has decided to sleep on top, if he stays like this overnight should I perhaps turn UVB on again tomorrow?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362687688.192987.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
Your Dizzy is a little chunky monkey!! :D I would leave him be and not turn the lights on. He doesn't look like he is ready to wake up. Hold off for a few days and see what he does. Good luck!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL. Allie didn't brumate this time. :) She might do it next year, but I'm not sure. She hasn't shown any signs of slowing down in her eating and growth. :) She's heading for a shed on her chest, head, and lips. Poor girl! Ate greens so much she's growing. :)

Ludo's learning how to brumate for next year. :)

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon
Went in to check in him this morning and it was eyes open head pointing up.
Maybe he's decided he doesn't want to sleep there. What I'm leaving for work in an hour so will see if he goes back to his hide.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362732917.454533.jpg

The light in that pic is because the room lights are on where I wanted to show you, his eyes where open anyway.

If he's up in half an hour seeing as he's out ill give him a fresh plate of greens to see if he'll be tempted.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Seems to me he is waking up and that is a good thing. Giving him food will ok also. Let's see if the little booger will eat it today. If you can turn all your lights on today today then I would. Good luck. My Spike is still sleeping on his hammock, tummy on the glass and his nose in the air!! Go figure!! :D

Pat B

Super Moderator
LOL. Allie didn't brumate this time. :) She might do it next year, but I'm not sure. She hasn't shown any signs of slowing down in her eating and growth. :) She's heading for a shed on her chest, head, and lips. Poor girl! Ate greens so much she's growing. :)

Allie probably didn't brumate because she is too busy taking care of you!! I don't like brumation and wish Spike would get his act together and wake up and stay awake! I guess he will when he is ready! :D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL! Too much 'bustling activity' in my house. She just doesn't want to miss out! LOL! ;)

Dizzy

Hatchling Dragon

Hopefully that's the case because if it is a brumation it'll be summer when he wakes up!

I spoke to the shop I got him from and its a common occurrence over here for them to go off food rather than fully Brumate - apparently - I listen to what's said here more anyway.

I'm home soon so I am hoping to see rustled up greens all over the tank and no insects. I'll then be happy!

Although we are due another cold snap over the next few days after glimpses of spring.

I can't thank you all enough though and I am sorry to ramble but its my first reptile and I'll admit that its harder because at least other mammals per se have personalities you can figure out!

Latest posts