• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lost My Baby/Really Hard Euthanasia

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone,

I'm absolutely heartbroken writing this, but yesterday I had to euthanize my best friend. Hername was Spyro and she was with me for almost 6 years. She was my best friend.

I took her to the vet yesterday, as she was getting worse. The vet said it was most likely a brain problem, and that there wasn't anything left to do. I think part of me has known that for awhile now.

I made the choice to have them euthanize her. I stayed with her during the whole thing. It wasn't pretty. I don't know how euthanasia is supposed to work, but she didn't seem calm at all. She threw up as I cried and held her. I feel so guilty. I don't want to think about her last minutes being in pain, but I can't stop running through what happened. I can't sleep or eat. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I'm so heartbroken. I've never felt this much pain before.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone,

I'm absolutely heartbroken writing this, but yesterday I had to euthanize my best friend. Hername was Spyro and she was with me for almost 6 years. She was my best friend.

I took her to the vet yesterday, as she was getting worse. The vet said it was most likely a brain problem, and that there wasn't anything left to do. I think part of me has known that for awhile now.

I made the choice to have them euthanize her. I stayed with her during the whole thing. It wasn't pretty. I don't know how euthanasia is supposed to work, but she didn't seem calm at all. She threw up as I cried and held her. I feel so guilty. I don't want to think about her last minutes being in pain, but I can't stop running through what happened. I can't sleep or eat. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I'm so heartbroken. I've never felt this much pain before.
I am so sorry to hear about Spyro---- it is difficult to make those choices but often we need to put ourselves last over the needs of the dragon or whats best --- and that choice is hard -- dont be hard on yourself and give yourself time to heal --- as time goes on it will become easier but let the grieving process begin--- make some memories of her pics or what ever you have of her and let time begin to heal the hurt --- in time you may want to try again but grieve first --- if and when you decide to try again make sure you sanitize your tank really good --- but first give it time :(

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone,

So sorry to hear about Spyro. May she RIP with my Zontar in reptile heaven

Latest posts