• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loss of Appetite!

Emily

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Diddy used to eat a lot, 10-15 worms a day plus his greens and vegetables. Now, he wont touch either. He hasn't eaten much in 3 days. He had 2 worms today and none yesterday. I've tried giving him crickets, meal worms, anything. He's just not interested. The salads I lay out go to waste. He does however drink a lot of water. Should I take him to a vet or is he just being a moody dragon? He's about 1 year old.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's getting to the age when you can start cutting back on the live feeders, to every other day. It is not uncommon for an adult to go off their food for as much as a week or more at a time & this is normal. They are generally not as active either & have slowed in growing so as much nourishment is not needed. Keep an eye on him for drastic noticeable weight loss. Possibly get a kitchen scale to keep track of its weight.

Good Luck

Emily

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
*breathes in relief* Good, thank you! I've been so concerned. All he's been doing is staring at me through his cage...He still has his big belly, though, so again I thank you. He means the world to me. I'd hate to see him get sick because of my negligence.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Emily :) Willow does the same, she goe's off certain foods like waxworms if i feed them all the time. At the minute she's refusing them and only eating locusts for a change of taste, if he's gone off his food and maintaining a good weight and doesn't seem lethargic that should be fine. Could he be about to shed? my dragon stops eating a couple days before i even notice light patches appearing!
if he doesn't eat for a long time i worked out that feeding small amounts of organic baby food works a charm for restoring appetite - i use this one
435965b.jpg

she really likes the taste and its very easy to feed, i just suck some up a pipette then put it on her mouth and she laps it up ^_^

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Emily, does the vent appear to be bulging, or look yucky, or does it look normal? Just a quick thought.

Latest posts