• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loose poop after egg laying?

Garden of Echoes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will try to keep this simple! I have a dragon that just turned 1 year old :) "he" was named Ares by my son, however a few weeks ago Area turned into Athena because I found her laying eggs in her enclosure!!! She laid 29 unfertilized eggs! I removed them and have been feeding her as usual. I provide fresh kale daily. occassionally shredded carrots, cucumbers, mustard greens, and some fruits. Worms and crickets most days. I keep her at my office. She is very active and alert. I also spray (hydrate) her with a spray bottle almost daily and she loves to lick as I spray directly into her mouth. I would estimate that ever since she laid the eggs, she has had runny, liquid poop. Probably poops every other day but it is a disaster, especially on the floor. I do use a walnut substrate. Always have, without the appearance of any issue. Can someone help guide me on the runny poop? Am I giving her too much water? Should I give her a different kind of fresh green? I do sprinkle calcium on her veggies every day. She eats from my hand. She still is alert and loves to be held. I am just concerned about her diahhrea. Any suggestions? Or is this normal after egg laying? Thank you!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! I am not entirely sure on if this is normal or not but I can imagine that some of it is as her body changes now that she is no longer with eggs. What I can tell you is cucumbers are good for when a dragon needs moisture so maybe holding off on them will help...Especially if she is getting water daily with you spraying her. Kale is for occasional feeding I would go the route of collard, dandelion mustard greens with Kale mixed in..
Glad to hear that you've not had any issues with the walnut substrate most likely because she is that well hydrated.. :) please keep an eye on that.
Since laying the eggs for sure give the Calcium and I even think giving her calcium with D3 for a bit to re coup her calcium stores.
Overall if she is acting normal, eating normal just has the runs hopefully with some diet changes she will firm up. If it doesn't maybe a vet visit will be the next step..

Garden of Echoes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much, Hdrydr. I will transition to more collard, dandelion,mustard green mix with kale instead of straight kale. Do i find D3 in pet stores to add with the calcium? The egg laying was a cool experience and funny that we assumed she was a male until she showed us otherwise!!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much, Hdrydr. I will transition to more collard, dandelion,mustard green mix with kale instead of straight kale. Do i find D3 in pet stores to add with the calcium? The egg laying was a cool experience and funny that we assumed she was a male until she showed us otherwise!!!
what most petstores have is the calcium with D3, I make sure I have calcium only then calcium with d3 so if Izzy doesn't eat a good variety of her greens I can supplement.. But she has not laid eggs like yours :) Here are good lists that most of us go off of when talking about diets.. both are very good showing how often to give and what not to give..
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
That had to be a fun discovery lol what a learning experience. Has she brumated at all?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also Carrots are one of those that should be occasionally as they contain high amounts of Vit A which in excess can lead to vit A toxicity and very dangerous... just fyi

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hopefully others that have had experience with egg laying and supplements will chime in on this thread to offer more help on how often you should offer calcium with d3 and how often not to..

Garden of Echoes

Bearded Dragon Egg
no brumating. Actually 2 weeks before the egg laying she was scratching ALL THE TIME to get out and digging everywhere in her enclosure. it was funny actually. I thought she was trying to find a place to hibernate. She ended up back in her cave with the heated floor and laid her eggs in there!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no brumating. Actually 2 weeks before the egg laying she was scratching ALL THE TIME to get out and digging everywhere in her enclosure. it was funny actually. I thought she was trying to find a place to hibernate. She ended up back in her cave with the heated floor and laid her eggs in there!!
lol yep she was trying to prepare a hole for her eggs :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If by runny poop you mean that there is a lot of water with it then it means she's real hydrated. If by runny poop you mean the poop itself is soft and mushy, there is something else going on there and a vet visit may be in order.

Be careful with the heat pad. They really aren't recommended for bearded dragons because they don't feel heat real good with their belly so they can burn themselves with it. Also heat pads are notorious for malfunctioning.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good catch PatsyB I totally missed that one.. yesterday was a blurr.

Latest posts