• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for your thoughts - Beardie Sub Box

jeb

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi everyone! I've really enjoyed my time here so far and I have created this thread to solicit your opinions and thoughts. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes!

After six months of research and preparing, my wife and I got our first bearded dragon. This is my first reptile and the whole herp community has been nothing but fantastic, helpful, and supportive. My wife and I have been inspired by our own dragon to start a subscription box business for bearded dragons and their owners!

If you don't know what a subscription box is, it is quite simple and can be a lot of fun. You pay a monthly fee (like a magazine subscription), and every month you receive a box in the mail with items whose retail value would be higher than what your subscription price is. There are lots of subscription boxes for everything under the sun, from clothes to watches to dogs and cats and video games and jerky and socks and so on and so forth. There isn't, however, a bearded dragon box! So, we have begun creating one. We are currently in the Pre-pre-launch phase of the box, and are shooting to have our first boxes go out in December. If you would be so kind as to answer a few questions for us, we would be very grateful! I'll also add a link to our Facebook page so that if you're interested in keeping up with it's progress we will post a lot of our information there as it comes out.

Questions:

1) What kinds of items for your Dragon would you want to see in a monthly subscription box the most (harnesses, clothes/costumes, feeders, feeder supplies, etc)?

2) What kinds of items would you like to see in the Bearded Dragon Box for YOU (t-shirt, coffee mug, decal, etc)?

3) Would you be more interested in a box that had 2-3 items and a lower price point, or a box with more items and a higher price point?

4) Would you be willing to pay an extra dollar or two per box if it meant that those dollars would go to a reptile rescue?

Our plan is to have a "Dragon of the Month" profile where we'll feature one subscriber and their dragon each month, as well as a monthly video with myself and our dragon Wendell.

Here's a link to the Facebook page. It's a little sparse at the moment, but we're still getting things sorted. Updates will be added as they come - www.facebook.com/beardeddragonbox

Thanks everyone!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There is a company starting next month called reptibox doing a very similar thing. I have so much stuff for my reptiles that I probably wouldn't sign up for one but things to have would be feeders, supplement samples (calcium w &w/o D3, multivitamin, probiotics, things like milk thistle, dandelion greens, calendula powder etc). Soap is a big thing for dragon owners. Emergency kit items are also something that people don't really think about. Saline, chlorhexidine, activated charcoal, neosporin. Droppers, syringes (without needles). Things that we don't know we need until we get it. I would do something extra once a month like a leash or a bandana or hat or some kind of small costume.

There's not really a whole lot of things that are needed each month. I mean once you have a leash, you have a leash. I have full containers of calcium that are going to last me the whole year. So I think a box with sample size things would be a better idea because you would be more likely to run out of those things each month.

As far as personal items for the owners, DECALS are a favorite! We just did a gift exchange on our FB page and decals were the big hit. Mugs, T-shirts, key chains all good ideas.

Giving the option to donate a few dollars to a credited reptile rescue is a good idea. You could maybe pick a different rescue each month.

jeb

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for replying, @PatsyB! It is much appreciated.

While ReptiBox is a nice idea, it's not specific to Bearded Dragons and their owners. Unless I had multiple sorts of reptiles, I would rather have a box specific to my animal than run the risk of getting some item I would never use or is inappropriate for my species. Not a fan of snakes, myself, so I wouldn't want to get snake items. For example, sending out mealworms or pinkys or crested gecko diet to bearded dragon owners does nothing but add to our trash cans and there would always be the unfortunate beardy owner who doesn't know mealworms are a no-go. The conclusion is that all reptiles is very broad. It is nice to see that there are other people looking into this subscription box market as well, though, and that there is interest in it!

Emergency kit items is a great point, and one that people who have any sort of pet don't naturally think about. We've been looking around for a bit and there are a ton of different etsy type stores and websites of people who make accessories and different hammocks and bandanas that are fun.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What a great idea that I wish I would've thought of. Some companies sell variety packs of feeders. That would definitely be cool since I like to provide variety in my beardies diet. as long as the monthly price is right this could have the potential to save me a ton. Instead of ordering a bunch of Phoenix worms from one company and than turning around and ordering a bunch of something else from another company, it would be like a one stop shop. Anything from supers, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, waxworms, dubias, Phoenix worms, and even grub pie would be nice to see in a variety feeder pack.

You could also onclude different feeder gutload mix to add a little extra nutrition in our companions food.

As far as merchandise, I probably wouldn't actually wear anything with a Beardie on it but that's just me. I would however like coffee mugs/cups, key chains and decals.
And for my Beardie, harnesses, bandanas, hammocks and all of that would be awesome.

Wishing you guys the best of luck and much success. Hope I could offer at least a little help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts