• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

looking for some advice

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
dont have my beardie yet. want to build viv first and make sure temps are good...

dimensions 48x24x24

will be using 3/4" melamine

slate tiles for flooring

screened top. uvb bulb will not have screen to provide unfiltered light.

basking bulb should this be unfiltered?

thinking of having a full spectrub bulb(basically just want a little extra light on cool side) should this be filtered or unfiltered? or another type of bulb? or bad idea?

venting- besides open top. would extra vents be needed? if so size?

front sliding plexi glass doors. most likely will be 1/4" as i can get the tracks locally

has anyone had any expierence with these fixtures? Sun Blaze T5 HO Strip Light Fixture -- 2'. planning using 2 of these they come with a 6500k(blue) bulb could this be used for extra light on cool side?

flukers sun dome for basking light fixture. basking light is tbd. suggestions for basking light needed.

i'd say RH is roughly 60-80% winter 70%+summer.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
dont have my beardie yet. want to build viv first and make sure temps are good...

dimensions 48x24x24
icon_thumright-1.gif

will be using 3/4" melamine
icon_thumright-1.gif

slate tiles for flooring
icon_thumright-1.gif

screened top. uvb bulb will not have screen to provide unfiltered light.
icon_thumright-1.gif

basking bulb should this be unfiltered? If the setup will allow it, yes, that is the better choice, but not absolutely necessary. Screened may need a hotter bulb to provide the desired temps, depending on the setup.

thinking of having a full spectrub bulb(basically just want a little extra light on cool side) should this be filtered or unfiltered? or another type of bulb? or bad idea? Any white or clear bulb will do, when just needed for added ambient light, fluorescents are generally the better choice, as they throw off little heat, again depends greatly on the setup.

venting- besides open top. would extra vents be needed? if so size? An open screened top should be fine, you could make a small adjustable vent low on either side to aid in circulation, again depends on the setup & heat needs.

front sliding plexi glass doors. most likely will be 1/4" as i can get the tracks locally
icon_thumright-1.gif

has anyone had any expierence with these fixtures? Sun Blaze T5 HO Strip Light Fixture -- 2'. planning using 2 of these they come with a 6500k(blue) bulb could this be used for extra light on cool side? Yes this could be used, but just so you know, BDs thrive on Bright White Light so white\clear bulbs are the better choice

flukers sun dome for basking light fixture. basking light is tbd. suggestions for basking light needed. As for a heat bulb, any white or clear bulb of sufficient type & wattage to provide the required temps will work. Everyday Halogen bulbs, found readily available at most Hardware stores for less than half the price of pet store bulbs & do the job every bit as well, if not better. Halogens run quite hot, so high wattages are not needed, therefore are also cheaper to run. We all have to play with bulb types, wattages & distances to suit our individual setups.

i'd say RH is roughly 60-80% winter 70%+summer. Your RH is fairly high, similar to how it is around here. Ideally, we would like to have the RH in the 10%-30% range for BDs. Living in a Humid climate, there is not a lot we can do short of using a dehumidifier & constantly keeping all windows in the home closed. For me this is not an option & my BDs have adapted\adjusted very well for many years.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
A few good links to help get you started ...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

Reactions: Jp

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the fast reply germ. just to clarify the bulbs that come with those fixtures is white in color(they look white in pics) the blue i believe is the color temp(6500K) full spectrum bulbs. Im also going to order reflectors for both fixtures.
Also attached proposed design for the top.

tops.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The only thing I would suggest is moving the Basking light\spot to the left a bit, more towards the center of the UVB tube, as that is where the strongest effective UVB is emitted, there is very little emitted off of the ends of the tube.
Example of a Basic Setup: Showing the recommended Basic requirements, proper Temperatures & the points at which they should be measured from, in Red & the optional choices that are actually used in this particular example enclosure, in Black.

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Got my building supplies today... will post some pics after we get it together... the melamine was not as hard to cut as i imagined. will post the blade i used as well.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am 'thinking' about building my own tank so I can customize it.

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I fully enjoyed making my encloseure and believe itll provide a wonderfull home for our beardie. The hardest part is cutting the melamine with minimal chipping

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cover your cut line (Both sides) with Masking Tape prior to cutting, you will find that it makes a world of difference. Always make sure that your good side is the side that the blade enters & exits the side that doesn't show. Circular saw = good side facing down, table saw = Good side facing up ...

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
went and got some minmax polycrylic protective finish clear satin the label says for indoor use would this stuff be ok for sealer or do i need something else

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
finally got some spare time to do a little bit more on my enclosure. also testing basking spot heights. got both fixture

s mocked in. and plexi glass cut and installed =).

Attachments

• IMG_1777[1].JPG
    IMG_1777[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 107

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
got some more done. cage is basically complete. now working on the basking spot.
pics are of baskingspot x2, view of top, view of were we plummed our wires front and back
.IMG_1779[1].JPGIMG_1780[1].JPGIMG_1781[1].JPGIMG_1782[1].JPGIMG_1783[1].JPG

Latest posts