• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for list of edible plants that can be foraged and or grown for Food or to add to there food

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wondered if anyone has list of native leaves and plants edible for bearded dragons . Ive researched veggies ( and not doing fruits) and houseplants ect but not finding alot on things like (for example) mulberry leaves , elm leaves , or Luke plantain (the weed not the banana) ect not sure if cause I'm so tired after surgery had week n half ago or if isnt alot to find. Ik for my sulcata there edible but ofc thst doesn't mean it is so for a bearded dragon so hoping to learn what is so by spring I'll know what's able to be foraged and added to her diet

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wondered if anyone has list of native leaves and plants edible for bearded dragons . Ive researched veggies ( and not doing fruits) and houseplants ect but not finding alot on things like (for example) mulberry leaves , elm leaves , or Luke plantain (the weed not the banana) ect not sure if cause I'm so tired after surgery had week n half ago or if isnt alot to find. Ik for my sulcata there edible but ofc thst doesn't mean it is so for a bearded dragon so hoping to learn what is so by spring I'll know what's able to be foraged and added to her diet
Look at this website for plants scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a list there you can look at
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea I found thslat list after posted last night however a few foods on the color coded chart bothered me from what I've read and researched with the animal protiens ik eggs are considered safe but seeing things like animal meat and citrus makes me wonder how accurate the sites info is as these are not suposed be good choices or feed ever. I've obly seen meat to be offered when an animal is being rehabbed and is emaciated where it needs the extra that a typical bearded dragon shouldn't have due to fatty liver disease and other issues with those food choices. Ik given even that it doesn't mean all info is bad or wrong , everywhere seems to have varying degrees of what new , old, and agreed husbandry it seems with any animal or even plant forums and sites. Also I was hoping to find some things like for example sulcata tortoises can eat ulmus and zelkova leaves (American and Chinese elm) and mulberry leaves and such things one van forage and add to thier grasses and hays. So I was hoping to find between annuals , perennials, biannual, and herbs as well as indoor outdoor houseplants and veggies and flowers . Just trying get better handle on what I can plant and grow during winter and maybe pot up or plant in garden and grow for my beardy.and again ik when i had a beardy some 15 to 20 yrs ago much has been updated on husbandry and so maybe things i mentioned thst worry me have changed idk so not doubting it fully just rather cautious and relearning things and trying be best parent /owner possible. Hope my long winded questions and thoughts are not too annoying . But i do apreciate you responding truly
1000004808.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I found thslat list after posted last night however a few foods on the color coded chart bothered me from what I've read and researched with the animal protiens ik eggs are considered safe but seeing things like animal meat and citrus makes me wonder how accurate the sites info is as these are not suposed be good choices or feed ever. I've obly seen meat to be offered when an animal is being rehabbed and is emaciated where it needs the extra that a typical bearded dragon shouldn't have due to fatty liver disease and other issues with those food choices. Ik given even that it doesn't mean all info is bad or wrong , everywhere seems to have varying degrees of what new , old, and agreed husbandry it seems with any animal or even plant forums and sites. Also I was hoping to find some things like for example sulcata tortoises can eat ulmus and zelkova leaves (American and Chinese elm) and mulberry leaves and such things one van forage and add to thier grasses and hays. So I was hoping to find between annuals , perennials, biannual, and herbs as well as indoor outdoor houseplants and veggies and flowers . Just trying get better handle on what I can plant and grow during winter and maybe pot up or plant in garden and grow for my beardy.and again ik when i had a beardy some 15 to 20 yrs ago much has been updated on husbandry and so maybe things i mentioned thst worry me have changed idk so not doubting it fully just rather cautious and relearning things and trying be best parent /owner possible. Hope my long winded questions and thoughts are not too annoying . But i do apreciate you responding truly View attachment 35050
I would never feed meat to my dragons so I dont worry about that- I feed oranges to my roaches but not my dragons- I cant get my dragons to eat any kind of fruit I have tried all kinds and they just are not interested in them - so I mainly stick w/ the common greens and have ordered prickly pear leaves off of Amazon-- I have not found one item that my dragons go nuts over - most really like blueberries not mine - let me see if I can get some input from some others about the things your asking about

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ofc really apreciate it alot , yea my dubia colony I feed oranges . Ty for kindness often on fb groups im used people attacking people when they question things or ask why to learn why things are different then what was ok or not ok before. Im always trying to be open to relearning and understanding because things change for better and worse as we learn . Really feel like this forum group is pretty solid and kind huge difference to most fb groups. Ty again and again ty checking for me on few things. Just trying find a wide variety I can provide along with buy as foods to keep her from ever being picky eater .in past my orignal beardy fella was very picky from breeder and took years to adjust him to eat much different and I feel this time around itll be healthier the more variety and selection she can eat. Wont lie got her from breeder in Florida (idk of allowed mentioned names so I won't unless otherwise told its ok) and she's eaten from day one her feeders and some greens so she's off to decent start I feel with that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ofc really apreciate it alot , yea my dubia colony I feed oranges . Ty for kindness often on fb groups im used people attacking people when they question things or ask why to learn why things are different then what was ok or not ok before. Im always trying to be open to relearning and understanding because things change for better and worse as we learn . Really feel like this forum group is pretty solid and kind huge difference to most fb groups. Ty again and again ty checking for me on few things. Just trying find a wide variety I can provide along with buy as foods to keep her from ever being picky eater .in past my orignal beardy fella was very picky from breeder and took years to adjust him to eat much different and I feel this time around itll be healthier the more variety and selection she can eat. Wont lie got her from breeder in Florida (idk of allowed mentioned names so I won't unless otherwise told its ok) and she's eaten from day one her feeders and some greens so she's off to decent start I feel with that.
I have heard a lot of things and not good about the FB groups so I dont even go there or Redit as well - people come here for help and questions and that is what I try to do help or get them help if I cant and answer questions - if I cant answer them I go to others who maybe can -- the main goal is to help the dragon / person so they can help their dragon - let me see what I hear back from the ones I reached out to

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ofc again I apreciate it, yea in fb or other sites if you offer advice even if correct your called toxic or a karen/karin or Chad and if you ask advice your blatantly told your terible owner when the who point of groups imho is providing best husbandry and love to enrich and give our pets or plants best healthiest happiest lives possible . I agree it's hard at times seeing failure to thrive or owners who do zero research then have issues but in end help them and they grow be toxic and it's sure they'll ignore advice and pet suffers . Sorry ill sit tight and see what is found thanks again. Won't lie this forum is how most pet groups should be , it's really refreshing to say least <3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ofc again I apreciate it, yea in fb or other sites if you offer advice even if correct your called toxic or a karen/karin or Chad and if you ask advice your blatantly told your terible owner when the who point of groups imho is providing best husbandry and love to enrich and give our pets or plants best healthiest happiest lives possible . I agree it's hard at times seeing failure to thrive or owners who do zero research then have issues but in end help them and they grow be toxic and it's sure they'll ignore advice and pet suffers . Sorry ill sit tight and see what is found thanks again. Won't lie this forum is how most pet groups should be , it's really refreshing to say least <3
Yes its sad to read post like that -- that is why I dont even bother to go there -- many of them probably end up asking why their dragons die -- I have encountered a few on here and I am sure their dragons have passed --- one was so bad off w/ MBD I dont think it lasted much longer - it was so deformed it was awful --- most were using coils for UVB's -- to me those are death sentences for dragons-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
here is a response I got from one of the people I reached out to
I didn't see everything mentioned already but some edible flowers, plants herbs are impatiens, nasturtium, clover [ my dragons like the ones that are low to the ground ] chicory, basil, rosemary, cilantro, mulberry leaves, [ I have a tree in my yard ] dandelion, creeping charlie . I'm sure there are many more but if in doubt, leave it out.
There might be a list on beardeddragon.org somewhere but I don't remember for sure.

What a beautiful blazing red beardie BTW !

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ty truly ive several of those never use chemical fertilizers or pesticides so thats great news ty . She's very happy baby love her so much . Breeder is and was amazing to work with and get her still not named because I like to see it's personality abit befofe naming. Ty for great info truly and ty her compliment

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ty truly ive several of those never use chemical fertilizers or pesticides so thats great news ty . She's very happy baby love her so much . Breeder is and was amazing to work with and get her still not named because I like to see it's personality abit befofe naming. Ty for great info truly and ty her compliment
Here is the other response I got
I had similar issues when I tried having potted plats in my enclosure. They got knocked over and trampled very quickly. That's not a huge deal but makes a mess so it's a good idea to have a very stable planter that has a wide base to make it a bit tougher to knock over.

TigerScott79

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is the other response I got
I had similar issues when I tried having potted plats in my enclosure. They got knocked over and trampled very quickly. That's not a huge deal but makes a mess so it's a good idea to have a very stable planter that has a wide base to make it a bit tougher to knock over.
Np yea ive got nice clay succulent planter pots so shouldnt tip over at least until she grows up . But unsure what medium to put into the pot . Soil sand succulent type pebble sand mix orchid bark mix idk . Sorry I didn't do great explaining maybe been so tired had surgery 6 weeks ago then 2 weeks ago so trying not be so confusing I really do appreciate all the help and advice

Latest posts