• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

lol got my first black beard and puff! (shed) whats this mean and how do I deal with it?

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys! day # 2 of him eating out of my hand! hes still nervous so he hopped off once but then I placed my collard on the backside of my hand (side with the knuckles) and he climbed on and had another nibble. After he nibbled on the collard he stopped and looked up at me...he then proceded to climb up to my wrist in which he tasted with his tounge, looked up at me again but this time his beard went black and he puffed it out, he just starred. He then proceded to climb a little further up my arm puffed out again and starred at me with his black beard lol. He didnt seem too scared. I lowered my arm so he didnt climb up it and escape lol (I handle him in his tank for now). He saw a cricket out of the corner of his eye and leaped off my hand after the cricket which he caught. I then took my hand out and let him go about his business. He is in awful shed today! I noticed a few flakes coming off through out the week but nothing big at all, yet this morning he is a complete mess with huge pieces of skin handing off all over him, hes trying to run it off on the branch and carpet. Could this be why I got my first puff? What does the beard puff mean in this situation? Anyone whos been keeping up with me knows he hasnt been the easiest to handle, very squirmy, so for him to actually get comfy on my arm and climb up it without too much visible fear is a huge thing for us! He didnt seem agressive in any other manner. Also how should I take a beard puff? is it a behavior I should stop? If so whats the best way to stop it? Or is it something common with these guys and something I shouldnt care about? Just wanna make sure im doing the right training/taming with my dragon. Thanks!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When a BD puffs up its a sign of stress or fear. They will puff up to make them self appear larger trying to scare of there opponent. Very normal behavior for a young dragon. Don't try to stop it but don't let it intimidate you. If your reaching for him and he puffs up grab him anyways otherwise you are teaching him that if he shows aggressive behavior you will leave him alone.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's strange, I've seen mine change color a few times. Not like changing colors to blend with the background or whatever, just his color gets darker sometimes, and I think that I read that's because they're stressed out. So I tend to leave him alone if he does that. I am still assuming it's a he, lol, I hope I'm right XD

Latest posts